Author Topic: The L  (Read 10768 times)

August 29, 2013, 12:00 PM #50

boostfreak Offline

• Vehicle: Meatball
  • Reputation Power: 38
  • boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.
Its a cabin car. Find another V6, replace timing belt while its on the stand, stove it in the car, enjoy for years.
BNRJAMZ
'13 Fiat 500 Turbo
Originally posted by: Igor
i don't know why you would want to say its an sti, especially around people that know what they are looking at. like buddy, its a wrx, who cares. personally i find it insulting that he calls it an sti

Top Tier Imports

The L
    « Reply #50 on: August 29, 2013, 12:00 PM »

October 02, 2013, 12:57 PM #51

slipstreamconversion Offline

• Vehicle: 1997 Toyota Aristo / 1993 Toyota Camry
    • Reputation Power: 82
    • slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.
    Huge thanks to Damian @ Pick A Part Salvage and Towing on Springfield!  He acquired the L300 at MPI.  There is my donor engine :)

167436km as of 09-04-13

Dan, Aaron, you guys ready to pull an engine out of this and remove the block from the wagon, and install this bad boy in there?

Will need tools, I can get paperwork as well as Aaron who can grab Mitchell on Demand paperwork, and we will need pizza.

I will know 100% the specifics soon, and will get Damian to start up the engine and make sure she runs, and will update! 

The L project continues!!
    Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:00 PM by slipstreamconversion

October 02, 2013, 01:01 PM #52

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
      • Reputation Power: 164
      • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
      What do you plan on doing with the shell of the donor car?

Cause I'm so in to take a sledgehammer to it and beat it like bobby beat whitney.
      (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

October 02, 2013, 01:12 PM #53

• slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.
        It's staying at Pick-A-Part where it will have it's catalytic converters cut, gas tank cut, car rims removed, and other preparations then sent to the car shredder.

Only the engine was what I wanted.  If the interior looks nice I may look into it, but I'm not pissing around until I get the wagon running.

October 02, 2013, 01:26 PM #54

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
          • Reputation Power: 164
          • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
          Originally posted by slipstreamconversion
          It's staying at Pick-A-Part where it will have it's catalytic converters cut, gas tank cut, car rims removed, and other preparations then sent to the car shredder.

Only the engine was what I wanted.  If the interior looks nice I may look into it, but I'm not pissing around until I get the wagon running.
          Awh dang :(

Woulda been fun to smash up a car, I would have pitched down some cash for it too :P

EDIT: TopTier Junk Car Group Buy?!?!?!

We all pitch in just to smash the hell out of it then send it on its way!
          (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

October 02, 2013, 02:16 PM #55

boostfreak Offline

• boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.
            Miiiiiint. Good find!
            BNRJAMZ
            '13 Fiat 500 Turbo
            i don't know why you would want to say its an sti, especially around people that know what they are looking at. like buddy, its a wrx, who cares. personally i find it insulting that he calls it an sti

October 07, 2013, 09:08 AM #56

Originally posted by boostfreak
              Miiiiiint. Good find!

Thanks!  Here is the new heart! 

One step closer to the wagon running and on the road!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:14 AM by slipstreamconversion

October 23, 2013, 08:25 AM #57

Sooo,

The new engine was transported to my friends farm and we got to work on removing the old block and transmission.  The new engine was swapped in and on it's mounts.  The drivers side axle needed to be replaced so I bought that. 

The engine is sitting in the bay, on it's mounts..  but not yet plugged in/attached to everything.  That's a job for this coming Saturday.

I'd like to extend a huge thank you to:
                Rhys - Rhys
                Sunny - sunshine
                Dan - Dan
                Aaron - Darkstar
                Ryan - sledrider204
                Jack - Ralliart Guy

and anyone else whom I missed that have lent a hand.  This is a crazy learning experience for myself, and I appreciate everyone's help thus far! 
                Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:35 AM by slipstreamconversion

October 23, 2013, 08:31 AM #58

Pictures?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

October 23, 2013, 08:34 AM #59

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                    • Reputation Power: 357
                    • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                    Nice work Darcy!

October 23, 2013, 09:27 AM #60

Sheldor Offline

• Reputation Power: 6
                      • Sheldor has no influence.
                      I'm impressed :) can't wait to see it running. Oh and welcome back lol.

October 26, 2013, 06:46 PM #61

Start of day:

+ Started plugging in the harness to the body of the car, realized the engine harness that we kept on the engine from the other car, is not compliant with the wagon.

Progress:

+ Removed old engine harness
                        + Installed new engine harness
                        + Replaced bad CV Axle on drivers side
                        + Installed the fourth and final engine mount
                        + Bought a battery
                        + Connected fuel lines
                        + Other little stuff

Left to do:

+ Connect exhaust
                        + Connect coolant lines
                        + Install rad fan
                        + Finish plugging in on the drivers side electrical area
                        + Install battery tray, and battery.  Put together the fusebox
                        + Top up oil and coolant
                        + Try starting it.

Other tasks completed today:

+ Me and Shaun went for an adventure to get a battery from a bitchy woman
                        + Merrick shot a bird
                        + Shaun shot Optimus Prime
                        + Dan asked a girl on a date
                        + Aaron gained ab strength from leaning over the engine for such long periods at a time
                        + I found out I really don't like whatever beer was in Ryan's dads fridge

Monday evening is when we are back to work on it, and I hope we can get it going and I can report back here with happy news! 

I don't like posting updates with no pictures, so here is a picture of Shaun while heading to Bucks.

Will report back Monday!!

October 26, 2013, 07:00 PM #62

Also.. A seized nut meant we were gonna have to break a stud.  Dan held the extension and Aaron was hammering it.

I realized Aaron may hit Dan's hand.  So I busted out my camera.  Unfortunately the first swing they took.. well..

October 26, 2013, 07:01 PM #63

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                            • Reputation Power: 357
                            • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                            LOL

Will upload pic of your reaction to said beer.

October 26, 2013, 07:55 PM #64

Dan

Just to clarify, I didn't ask her out.

October 26, 2013, 07:57 PM #65

digits

Awesome Darcy! Sounds like you guys had a great day!

October 26, 2013, 08:22 PM #66

Well, we planned on finishing things today, but looks like we are heading into overtime

October 26, 2013, 10:40 PM #67

boostfreak Offline

Tell me you put a new timing belt on...
                                    BNRJAMZ
                                    '13 Fiat 500 Turbo

October 29, 2013, 07:59 AM #68

Almost

After installing everything, I looked under the car and seen a slight, slight leak of transmission fluid.  This is caused from a VERY minor slit about the size of half your thumbnail and as thin as paper, on the side of the transmission.  We must have bumped it when installing it, as it's in the wide open area and no one seen it when installing the engine.  At least it's very easy to get to, and not a problem to try and fix.  I applied Permatex cold weld on it yesterday to stop the leaking, will return to it today and see if I can get a better bond with some more of the cold weld stuff, and a heat gun to get the surface to a room temp.  If the leak cannot be stopped, then I have a second transmission, I just really don't want to swap it since we are so close to completion.

Progress Yesterday:

+ Installed last engine mount
                                      + Connect coolant lines
                                      + Install rad fan
                                      + Top up transmission fluid
                                      + Cold welded transmission leak
                                      + Installed battery tray and battery
                                      + Finished wiring
                                      + Installed serpentine belt

Left to do:

+ Connect exhaust
                                      + Inspect transmission leak
                                      + Put together air box, install air filter
                                      + Bolt the power steering fluid reservoir (2 bolts)
                                      + Bolt radiator in
                                      + Top up oil + coolant
                                      + Try starting it.

October 29, 2013, 02:17 PM #69

charlesjm Offline

• Vehicle: 1991 MR2 Turbo, 2007 Legacy Spec.B
                                        • Reputation Power: 26
                                        • charlesjm barely matters.charlesjm barely matters.
                                        Looks awesome Darcy! That group shot afew posts above is pretty good, lol.
                                        Is the wagon going to be your winter saturn..?
                                        #KenDeals
                                        #MRBlue

October 29, 2013, 04:06 PM #70

N1ck Offline

• Reputation Power: 9
                                          • N1ck has no influence.
                                          Awesome thread. Nice to see forum memebers helping eachother out. You should lower it, lowered wagons are awesome!
                                          1993 Del Sol Si
                                          2015 Kia Sportage EX Luxury AWD
                                          2015 Chrysler 300 Limited

October 29, 2013, 05:12 PM #71

Shier Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 STI -- RIP 2011 Genesis Coupe
                                            • Reputation Power: 52
                                            • Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.
                                            The suspense is killing me. Hope to see it goin soon
                                            It will never have enough power until I can spin all four wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear.

October 30, 2013, 09:57 AM #72

Lou Offline

• Vehicle: E90 BMW 328i
                                              • Reputation Power: 29
                                              • Lou barely matters.Lou barely matters.
                                              You could test my springs if you want but I looked into it and I don't think they'll fit...

October 31, 2013, 01:07 PM #73

Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
                                                Progress is stopped.

There is a leak on the side of the transmission, the size of the edge of your thumbnail (left to right) and as thin as a few pieces of paper.

Which means I either need to find someone to weld it, (since this cold weld stuff isn't working) or I replace the transmission with the one that was originally in there to begin with.

This must have been caused when we put in the transmission, as this wasn't noticed before and is literally impossible to have been from the slight collision the donor car was in.

So yeah, if we can't locate someone to weld it, looks like it's going to be stored for the winter and completed in the spring.  The days are too short, and the days get too cold too quick to get any real progress done. 

It's a shame because everything is in, and it was almost ready to go.   Disappointed, I am.

October 31, 2013, 01:54 PM #74

digits

****ty deal bro. :(

Top Tier Imports

The L
                                                    « Reply #74 on: October 31, 2013, 01:54 PM »