Author Topic: Know your rights.  (Read 6313 times)

March 28, 2012, 04:00 PM #25

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
  • Reputation Power: 38
  • IanB is working their way up.IanB is working their way up.IanB is working their way up.
Originally posted by NEPTUNE
Your talking to a police officer lol

Police officers are people too, we can have hypothetical conversations, can we not?
'93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
'99 MB E55t AMG - DD
'04 Lexus GX470

Top Tier Imports

Know your rights.
    « Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 04:00 PM »

March 28, 2012, 06:28 PM #26

CFMP RAblue Offline

• Vehicle: 09 Mits Ralliart Octane blue
    • Reputation Power: 58
    • CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.
    Originally posted by IanB
    Mail doesn't have to be paper to be considered mail, unbusted?  Bubble wrap envelope would make it much harder to tell what is inside.

Dont quote me on this but Im pretty sure its a package until it has been mailed. Even if its ready to be mailed with stamp its not mail until its been mailed. ;)

"Go Fast, Stop Fast"
    Extreme Stop Slotted/Drilled Rotors
    KVR Performance Slotted Rotors
    Magnaflow CBE

March 28, 2012, 06:55 PM #27

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
      • Reputation Power: 98
      • firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!
      If an item is packaged and has postage on it, it's mail. Doesn't matter what it feels like.

March 28, 2012, 07:00 PM #28

BADWAGN Offline

• Vehicle: AUDI B7 Avant Stage II+
        • Reputation Power: 46
        • BADWAGN might someday be someone...BADWAGN might someday be someone...BADWAGN might someday be someone...BADWAGN might someday be someone...
        Things to do tomorrow:

Stop at post office and pickup a bubble envelope and stamps.   ;)
        'I Hold The Worlds Record for Holding Worlds Records'

'It looks like you were talking when you should have been listening'

'I stuffed it in the lady hole one too many times today'

March 28, 2012, 07:33 PM #29

NEPTUNE Offline

• Vehicle: BNR32
          • Reputation Power: 6
          • NEPTUNE has no influence.
          Originally posted by IanB
          Police officers are people too, we can have hypothetical conversations, can we not?

Yea I know but theres some thing fishy about trying to hide some thing from a cop in a envelope
          If it tastes like chicken keep on licking, but if it smells like trout....

March 28, 2012, 08:00 PM #30

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
            • Reputation Power: 221
            • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
            Why not just obey the law and not give them a reason to search you. If you need to rock a radar detector in your car then you obviously have an intent to speed thus breaking the law and if thats the case then you deserve to get ticketed. If a cop pulls me over and wants to search me then all the power to him ive got nothing to hide. If he gives me a ticket that i deserved then so be. Ill still make sure i have the camera rolling just incase i get an asshole cop but like i said, if i deserve the ticket then ill take it and pay it without a fuss.

Knowing your rights and finding ways to get away with breaking the law are two different things.
            2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
            2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

March 28, 2012, 09:01 PM #31

firelizard Offline

• firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!
              Even innocent, I don't want to be searched.

March 28, 2012, 09:30 PM #32

Riley Offline

• Vehicle: '15 Fiesta ST, '00 MX5 S/C
                • Reputation Power: 120
                • Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!
                Originally posted by firelizard
                Even innocent, I don't want to be searched.

Don't bother crossing the border then :p
                #keepingitstock

March 28, 2012, 09:31 PM #33

JayPe3 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
                  • Reputation Power: 67
                  • JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!
                  I agree with Igor. Having been on the big speeding end of the stick. If you're openly speeding, and get caught, instead of trying to find a way out, just take it.
                  Long story short, I took 4 months and a very, very large ticket because I was being stupid very very early in the morning. Even with nobody on the road, I regret what I did, and deserved the punishment I got.

March 28, 2012, 10:46 PM #34

firelizard Offline

Originally posted by insertnamehere

lol

That's an exception. I want to visit the USA more than I don't want to get searched. I can deal with it being a requirement for crossing. I was referring especially to random searches by police looking for something to pin you with.

March 28, 2012, 10:48 PM #35

JayPe3 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
                      • Reputation Power: 67
                      • JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!
                      Originally posted by firelizard
                      lol

That's an exception. I want to visit the USA more than I don't want to get searched. I can deal with it being a requirement for crossing. I was referring especially to random searches by police looking for something to pin you with.

Is it cause im young, and i'm black, and my hats real low? Do I look like a mind reader sir? I don't know.

March 29, 2012, 08:20 AM #36

IanB Offline

• IanB is working their way up.IanB is working their way up.IanB is working their way up.
                        Originally posted by CFMP RAblue
                        Dont quote me on this but Im pretty sure its a package until it has been mailed. Even if its ready to be mailed with stamp its not mail until its been mailed. ;)

Originally posted by Firelizard
                        If an item is packaged and has postage on it, it's mail. Doesn't matter what it feels like.

I'm torn.  Who's right, the police officer, or the letter carrier?  Both are authorities on the subject...when does mail become "mail" under the law?

Also, why you no have multi-quote toptier?!?
                        '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                        '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
                        '04 Lexus GX470

March 29, 2012, 08:25 AM #37

IanB Offline

Originally posted by IgorCabrilo
                          Why not just obey the law and not give them a reason to search you. If you need to rock a radar detector in your car then you obviously have an intent to speed thus breaking the law and if thats the case then you deserve to get ticketed. If a cop pulls me over and wants to search me then all the power to him ive got nothing to hide. If he gives me a ticket that i deserved then so be. Ill still make sure i have the camera rolling just incase i get an asshole cop but like i said, if i deserve the ticket then ill take it and pay it without a fuss.

Knowing your rights and finding ways to get away with breaking the law are two different things.

This is a hypothetical discussion, no harm in that, no laws are being broken.  If a cop pulls you over and wants to search you, he needs to have probable cause, or I would say "no thank you, sir".  Makes no difference if you have anything to hide or not, that's an infringment of your rights, and you SHOULD care enough to protect those rights.
                          '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                          '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
                          '04 Lexus GX470

March 29, 2012, 09:36 AM #38

Igor Offline

• Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                            True.

March 29, 2012, 09:47 AM #39

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                              • Reputation Power: 173
                              • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                              Originally posted by IgorCabrilo

What kind of camera are you running? and where is it mounted/facing?
                              Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                              I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

March 29, 2012, 10:10 AM #40

crak Offline

• Vehicle: 2009 Mitsubishi Ralliart
                                • Reputation Power: 2
                                • crak has no influence.
                                if we are nit picking. you can tell its not mail if its in paper packing.  if its in a box with bubble wrap, it could be a different story.

then again who has time to tape up a box as opposed to a insta-saleable paper envelope parcel. :banana:
                                lots of ****

March 29, 2012, 10:59 AM #41

IanB Offline

Originally posted by crak
                                  if we are nit picking. you can tell its not mail if its in paper packing.  if its in a box with bubble wrap, it could be a different story.

then again who has time to tape up a box as opposed to a insta-saleable paper envelope parcel. :banana:

Again,  where is it written that "mail" only means paper documents?
                                  '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                                  '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
                                  '04 Lexus GX470

March 29, 2012, 12:15 PM #42

Igor Offline

Gopro hero2 set to 170 degrees facing driver and a bit out the front window. There is an app for the iphone which seems to be decent for a dash cam

March 29, 2012, 01:04 PM #43

firelizard Offline

"Mail" is anything that has an address and postage on it, or is the property of Canada Post. So that includes packets (padded envelopes, small packages) and parcels. If I'm not mistaken, only CBSA can open items for inspection, at the border, without a warrant.
                                      Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:06 PM by firelizard

March 29, 2012, 02:01 PM #44

Rush Offline

• Vehicle: 2004 AUDI S4
                                        • Reputation Power: 18
                                        • Rush has no influence.
                                        cops............... :unamused:
                                        '04 Audi B6 S4   -   '94 BMW E34 530i Touring

March 30, 2012, 09:05 AM #45

crak Offline

• Vehicle: 2009 Mitsubishi Ralliart
                                          • Reputation Power: 2
                                          • crak has no influence.
                                          some are good some are bad. just like we have good drivers and bad drivers.
                                          lots of ****

March 30, 2012, 02:59 PM #46

christhehof01 Offline

• Vehicle: 1990 300zx Fairlady Z Twin Turbo 1991 240sx KA
                                            • Reputation Power: 1
                                            • christhehof01 has no influence.
                                            Oh so true :P
                                            NISMO TILL I DIE B*TCHES!!!
                                            1990 Z32 VG30DETT
                                            1991 S13 KA24DE

March 30, 2012, 03:45 PM #47

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                                              • Reputation Power: 173
                                              • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!

And just like our drivers, more of them are bad, than good.
                                              Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                                              I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

April 02, 2012, 02:07 AM #48

Terror Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Toyota Celsior (JDM), 1990 Chevy S10 w/ 350
                                                • Reputation Power: 10
                                                • Terror has no influence.
                                                Thanks for the post bro, definitely going to read up on this!
                                                Instagram: @Terror

June 19, 2013, 12:10 AM #49

EH2_Abe Offline

• Vehicle: 92 Honda Civic Vx
                                                  • Reputation Power: 9
                                                  • EH2_Abe has no influence.
                                                  Originally posted by riley
                                                  have had the drug sniffing dog go through my car, my subs taken out of my trunk and dropped to the ground, while being wired up :/ still never found anything illegal. Get treated like a drug dealer.

Back to the cop/VIU business, I'm printing the HTA out tomorrow, highlighting things that may apply to me (lighting, exhaust, suspension, etc) so I can confirm with the police of my violation. Also gonna add the VIU handbook to my binder, that'll be kept in my car. I suggest you folks do the same.

Top Tier Imports

Know your rights.
                                                    « Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 12:10 AM »