Author Topic: My Bike Build  (Read 1436 times)

February 24, 2014, 10:40 AM #0

j.onathan Offline

• Vehicle: 06 Sierra CCSB, '89 240sx 7mgte swapped
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.
Over the winter I picked up a 97 V Star 650.  Bike is MINT and 100% stock.  My goal for this bike is to build a "bobber" style bike, with my own kinda feel.  The bike runs and drives, however the carbs definitely need a cleaning.  I'll be doing that once it warms up a little more as my garage isn't heated and I detest working on bikes,cars,sleds, etc when im freezing. 

Here's a few pics of progress. 

How it looked when I picked it up.

Quick strip of some parts.  (Fleabay seat I picked up)

Still need to figure out what i'm doing with the exhaust.  I don't want to buy a set of Vance & Hanes etc., would rather have a one off, but I don't have the equipment to bend piping.

Some ideas of exhaust I want

Top Tier Imports

My Bike Build
    « on: February 24, 2014, 10:40 AM »

February 24, 2014, 10:44 AM #1

Stefan Offline

• Vehicle: 2004 WRX wagon
    • Reputation Power: 48
    • Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...
    The after picture at the bottom looks good.
    build it - race it -  break it - do it all over

February 24, 2014, 12:13 PM #2

s-low Offline

• Vehicle: 14 F150, 10 Edge, 03 Accord, 09 V Star 950T
      • Reputation Power: 11
      • s-low has no influence.
      Looks like a sick project. Can't wait to see where it ends up, I wanted to build my 600 like this before I bought a bigger bike.

February 24, 2014, 07:54 PM #3

j.onathan Offline

• j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.
        The bottom pic has some elements that I really llike, that bike is built bt tail end customs. Check them out. They make rad bikes

Anyone know of a welder that could do exhuast like those?

Sent from my LT28i using Tapatalk 2

February 24, 2014, 09:38 PM #4

s-low Offline

• Vehicle: 14 F150, 10 Edge, 03 Accord, 09 V Star 950T
          • Reputation Power: 11
          • s-low has no influence.
          When you removed your rear fender did you have to chop the tail off of your frame at all?

February 25, 2014, 03:00 PM #5

j.onathan Offline

On this bike no, because it has as mono rear shock located under the seat.  Honda Shadows you do need to chop if you want that look.

February 27, 2014, 07:39 PM #6

boostfreak Offline

• Vehicle: Meatball
              • Reputation Power: 38
              • boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.
              I like that first exhaust. Kicked down and dumped.

Don't forget to rejet.
              BNRJAMZ
              '13 Fiat 500 Turbo
              Originally posted by: Igor
              i don't know why you would want to say its an sti, especially around people that know what they are looking at. like buddy, its a wrx, who cares. personally i find it insulting that he calls it an sti

March 02, 2014, 10:08 PM #7

j.onathan Offline

Yeah me too.  may have to buy some piping and have at it myself as everyone ive contacted.isnt interested or wants way to much money for the work. 

I've been doing some research on rejetting but it makes me scratch my head.  It sounds like a trial and error thing almost

March 02, 2014, 11:10 PM #8

boostfreak Offline

• boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.
                  Yeah, it is what it is. Takes a bit to get it right, but they are simple carbs to work on.
                  BNRJAMZ
                  '13 Fiat 500 Turbo
                  i don't know why you would want to say its an sti, especially around people that know what they are looking at. like buddy, its a wrx, who cares. personally i find it insulting that he calls it an sti

March 11, 2014, 09:48 AM #9

j.onathan Offline

So last night I took off the to clean it, damn was the gas old that was in there.  However I Ran a across a problem. A hex head "screw" had rusted off, it was at the base of what I believe is the main nozzle (from what I got from the parts breakdown).  I've never bought carb parts before and not sure if any Mikuni Parts will work or if I have to buy specific ones for a specific type of carb, or even where to buy carb parts locally. 

I attached  picture of what was broken, the red circled "screw" is the one that was rusted off.

Any help would be appreciated

March 11, 2014, 10:12 AM #10

boostfreak Offline

11 is your main nozzle, 23 looks like just a screw or plug. I doubt you'll find anything locally, I would just ship it up from the states from bikebandit or cheapcycleparts.
                      BNRJAMZ
                      '13 Fiat 500 Turbo

April 10, 2014, 02:28 PM #11

j.onathan Offline

Update.

Found a fender that I will be using for the bike, picked up some slightly taller bars and the rest of my parts have arrived, except the carb parts.

I started to put the new bars on the other night, however the clutch cable does not have enough slack to allow for the taller bars.  So again im asking if anyone knows where to get custom cables made? or where I could find generic ones? I've looked online and for my year there isn't much for extended clutch cables.

April 25, 2014, 08:53 AM #12

j.onathan Offline

Bike is back together, for the most part.  Cables and wires have been lengthened and rewired. 

Last night I went tried to get the bike running, I drained the old fuel from the tank, put new spark plugs in and fresh fuel.  Went to fire it up and it wont start.  The bike turns over fine but wont even fire.  I checked spark and there is spark, it seems that the bike isn't getting fuel into the cylinders.  I poured a little fuel down the throat of the carbs and the bike will fire up and run for a few seconds and then die.

I'm not sure why its not getting fuel, the carbs are cleaned and when I open the float bowl drains, fuel does come out.  Am I missing something?  All help is appreciated.

Top Tier Imports

My Bike Build
                            « Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 08:53 AM »