Author Topic: babyfod's eh3 build  (Read 11739 times)

March 13, 2014, 11:23 PM #0

Matthew Offline

• Vehicle: '92 EH3, '05 Ranger, '00 Silverado, '00 EX250
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.
Before I start, I would like to state that I had zero mechanical know-how before I started this build.
I bought an EH2 to fool around with, but you'll see what happened to that gem later on in this build thread.
I don't know if this build thread will ever end, but I guess time will tell.

Bought Ashley in March of 2013, from a toptier member, EH2_Abe.
JDM b16 motor, non LSD :(
(Stole these pictures from Abe, bought the car as it sits, but with steelies instead of the Starks)

Abe's build, which I'm sure most of you guys have seen, was a huge inspiration for mine.

Drove the hatch around for about 3 weeks until the balljoint went, resulting in my wheel going sideways, damaging my driver-side fender, as well as my driver-side axle. It was still winter, so I went ahead and got a shop to repair it. Luckily I was only going about 10km/h.

Later, drove to my grandma's for lunch, then this happened...

Drove in fine, but got hung up on some ice, and was unable to rock it/push it/ drive it out. Had to get CAA to pull me out.

As you can see in the the pictures, it has a Wings West lip kit. I liked the lip kit, just hated the mid spoiler. As you can see, I was in the middle of removing it.

Ending up doing a really quick job on it, because I knew I was going to repaint the car eventually. The main issue with the car is that the drip-rail and side mouldings were shaved by filling it with straight bondo. I knew I was going to have to hack out the bondo and repaint it once I had done that, so the really bad mid-spoiler repair didn't bother me, as I knew it was just temporary.

I also took the time to clean up the surface rust near the side skirts. If you look in the first few pictures, you can see the surface rust on the driver-side door. Got some paint color matched by the mid-spoiler, and did a quick paint job.

Turned out pretty decent, blends right in.

I then started to slowly clean up the interior. I unfortunately don't have any current pictures of the aftermath, as my phone with most of my pictures broke.

My buddy Dane and I, who is also a toptier member, threw a short shifter in, which was supposed to go in the original EH2 I had bought...

STORY TIME

I had bought this EH2 with the intentions of making it my auto-cross car, only thing was it needed rockers welded in order to pass safety. My girlfriends dad is a welder, and offered to weld in new rockers for me. Awesome, I thought!

Got started on welding...

Then this happened...

Had no choice but to salvage whatever I could and scrap the car. So I started my first ever engine pull with little to no experience. I had never taken on something like this before.

Took about 3 days to get it out in total. Thanks Abe for answering all my questions over text.

Sad to say goodbye to Jessica, but it was time. Josh Sarna picked it up and took it straight to his compound where he keeps his vehicles for scrap.

In retrospect I wish I would have kept a few more parts from it, but at the time I didn't really know what to keep and what to just toss out.
That was the end of Jessica, with 156k km's. It was a sad day seeing her go. But that made room for this winter beater instead.

But I digress.

Reverse lights had never worked since I got the car, so I decided to change out harness' until I got one that worked. Finally, three tries later...

Also got around to installing some LCA's, Apexi WS2 Exhaust, and Function Type 1 coilovers (now sold).

I later scooped these bad boys off Devon Dorosh. I'm a huge OEM wheel whore, and thought he did an awesome job with these.

Also bought these off a buddy

Picked up a Vibrant J-Spec 4-2-1 Header from SF as well as an ASR Rear Sway Bar & Subframe Brace from Option.

Random shots

Also picked up part of an ARC intake, just the piping. Don't mind the ugly engine bay.

Got Bomex to make me this as well.

I felt like the time had come, and I was ready to give Auto-X a chance. Got the car all prepped the night before.

Got to St. Andrews and boy was it a blast. Met Von, Igor, and a bunch of other guys there the first time out. Von even let me take a picture of his super clean bay.

Also a great shot by Ken, thanks a ton by the way Ken.

Soon after my first time out at Auto-X, I sold my coils and decided to park my car for the winter. I plan on getting a nice track set-up in a few months once I'm done school, so I sold them before winter.

Pic of me and Ty S chillin'

I have made a few purchases over the winter that I haven't gotten around to taking pictures of. I will update this thread with pictures of the items:
Skunk2 Ultra Series Intake Manifold
Skunk2 Pro Series TB
Skunk2 Valve Cover Bolts
Spoon Reservoir Covers
EG6 Side markers
PWJDM Thin side mouldings
15x8 Enkei 92's
AEM Fuel Rail
Russell Inline Fuel Filter
New Fuel Lines
Spark Plug Cover

I have decided to paint the car in the next few months, so I am disassembling my car in storage, and starting to sand pieces, one at a time, at my dads work. I will keep you guys posted on the progress of my sanding and take lots of pictures of the painting process. I am painting it in a paint booth, but I will be spraying it, so the colour will probably not come out perfect, but at least I can say I painted my own vehicle.

I know I've probably left a few things out, but that's all for now.

EH3 in the making.

[May 26 14:52:31] ACiFiC:matt u r so cute i wish u were under my covers :3 :3 :3 :3 xoxo

Been someones avatar count: 7

Top Tier Imports

babyfod's eh3 build
    « on: March 13, 2014, 11:23 PM »

March 13, 2014, 11:54 PM #1

Josia Offline

• Vehicle: 08 GTI, 99 Civic Type R
    • Reputation Power: 34
    • Josia is working their way up.Josia is working their way up.Josia is working their way up.
    I'm glad this car is in good hands. It'll look awesome with the Enkei 92s.
    [Feb 22 17:00:55] Shaun:i hate chatbox

March 14, 2014, 07:48 AM #2

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
      • Reputation Power: 199
      • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
      Crazy story but seemed like everything worked out for you!

How did the fire start? Random spark flew into the seat? Good thing you had something to put the flames out.

March 14, 2014, 09:22 AM #3

Matthew Offline

• Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.
        Originally posted by BoostAddict
        I'm glad this car is in good hands. It'll look awesome with the Enkei 92s.

Thanks Josia, happy to have it. It'll look completely different come summer time.

Originally posted by themikewoo
        Crazy story but seemed like everything worked out for you!

How did the fire start? Random spark flew into the seat? Good thing you had something to put the flames out.

Tacked right through a patch of rust, hit the carpet, and it's history from there. Super lucky to have gotten the fire out, had to rush to get a hose.
        EH3 in the making.

[May 26 14:52:31] ACiFiC:matt u r so cute i wish u were under my covers :3 :3 :3 :3 xoxo

March 14, 2014, 10:39 AM #4

Stefan Offline

• Vehicle: 2004 WRX wagon
          • Reputation Power: 48
          • Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...
          Curious to see it painted Matt. Are you set on a colour yet?
          build it - race it -  break it - do it all over

March 14, 2014, 11:39 AM #5

Matthew Offline

Originally posted by Stefan
            Curious to see it painted Matt. Are you set on a colour yet?

Yes sir.......  8)
            EH3 in the making.

March 14, 2014, 12:07 PM #6

pierce93 Offline

• Vehicle: 2007 Subaru WRX STI
              • Reputation Power: 2
              • pierce93 has no influence.
              Looking good fod!
              The world is flat

March 14, 2014, 12:20 PM #7

Faken Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Honda Fit
                • Reputation Power: 141
                • Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!
                nice! Looks good!
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenau/
                All photos that are taken by me can be used for whatever you want!

"I love Honda's because I started with Honda's" - Ryan Basseri

Ken

[Mar 26 13:45:26] Igor:hearts before parts

March 14, 2014, 05:39 PM #8

Matthew Offline

Originally posted by pierce93
                  Looking good fod!
                  Originally posted by Faken
                  nice! Looks good!

Thanks dudes! Real work starts once I start chipping away at the bondo'd side mouldings and drip rails.
                  EH3 in the making.

March 15, 2014, 11:33 PM #9

bonspeed Offline

• Reputation Power: 20
                    • bonspeed barely matters.bonspeed barely matters.
                    a build thread! yes! I like build threads especially track built's! looks like this car would look very nice when it's done, what color have you decided with? and no problem, you can always take a picture of my engine bay or the whole car i'm not hiding anything anyway. and if you ever need some help/tips on your project just message me, i'm not a pro/mechanic but i'll try my best knowledge to help out.
                    REV HARD... or DON'T REV AT ALL!!!
                    ||Mike Woo Racing!!||

Quote (selected)
                    : learn to drive before you start spending money and turning wrenches; it's the best investment you can make.

checkout my build thread

March 16, 2014, 02:44 PM #10

Matthew Offline

Originally posted by bonspeed
                      a build thread! yes! I like build threads especially track built's! looks like this car would look very nice when it's done, what color have you decided with? and no problem, you can always take a picture of my engine bay or the whole car i'm not hiding anything anyway. and if you ever need some help/tips on your project just message me, i'm not a pro/mechanic but i'll try my best knowledge to help out.

Awesome, thanks Von, appreciate it!

I have decided...

Fiji Blue Pearl!

I'll definitely be sending you a few messages over the next few weeks Von.
                      EH3 in the making.

March 16, 2014, 04:05 PM #11

Magner Offline

• Vehicle: Neons
                        • Reputation Power: 74
                        • Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.
                        I think we met last year at auto-x, nice build. Happy to see it come along. what tires are you planning to use with those neat 15x8 wheels?

March 16, 2014, 05:43 PM #12

boostfreak Offline

• Vehicle: Meatball
                          • Reputation Power: 38
                          • boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.
                          Awesome choice, I miss having a Fiji blue car around. Best color.
                          BNRJAMZ
                          '13 Fiat 500 Turbo
                          Originally posted by: Igor
                          i don't know why you would want to say its an sti, especially around people that know what they are looking at. like buddy, its a wrx, who cares. personally i find it insulting that he calls it an sti

March 16, 2014, 06:55 PM #13

Sesay

Love this car... Can't wait to work on it... Still waiting for that text fod :(

March 16, 2014, 07:04 PM #14

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                              • Reputation Power: 370
                              • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                              Hnng love this build, Fiji Blue is gonna look awesome!

March 16, 2014, 09:52 PM #15

bonspeed Offline

• Reputation Power: 20
                                • bonspeed barely matters.bonspeed barely matters.
                                Originally posted by Matthew
                                Awesome, thanks Von, appreciate it!

I have decided...

Fiji Blue Pearl!

I'll definitely be sending you a few messages over the next few weeks Von.

for sure! by the way here's a teaser picture for you

now you'll be more eager to finish this project lol
                                REV HARD... or DON'T REV AT ALL!!!
                                ||Mike Woo Racing!!||

Quote (selected)
                                : learn to drive before you start spending money and turning wrenches; it's the best investment you can make.

checkout my build thread

March 16, 2014, 10:24 PM #16

Matthew Offline

Originally posted by Magner
                                  I think we met last year at auto-x, nice build. Happy to see it come along. what tires are you planning to use with those neat 15x8 wheels?

I believe so! Planning on some 225/50/15 Toyo's or Advan's most likely.
                                  Originally posted by boostfreak
                                  Awesome choice, I miss having a Fiji blue car around. Best color.

Thank you! Really excited to get it painted. Got a color card of it sprayed, man is it pretty in the sunlight.

Originally posted by Sesay
                                  Love this car... Can't wait to work on it... Still waiting for that text fod :(

Haven't forgotten! Don't wanna bother you with sanding, once I start pulling the motor I'll let you know <3
                                  Originally posted by Shaun
                                  Hnng love this build, Fiji Blue is gonna look awesome!

Originally posted by bonspeed

for sure! by the way here's a teaser picture for you

now you'll be more eager to finish this project lol

You guys are awesome, comments like this really help me get through the boring sanding process. Tanks guyz :)
                                  EH3 in the making.

March 16, 2014, 10:26 PM #17

Sesay

I can sand, long as you promise to help me when it's to sand my car(s) :)

March 16, 2014, 10:26 PM #18

Matthew Offline

Originally posted by Sesay
                                      I can sand, long as you promise to help me when it's to sand my car(s) :)

but of course! :D

EDIT: tarrance fix your damn avatar, link is broken.
                                      Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 10:28 PM by Matthew
                                      EH3 in the making.

March 17, 2014, 12:33 AM #19

Matthew Offline

Got some dent repair done on my tailgate. The temporary fix that I had done after taking the mid spoiler off was pretty bad to say the least, but I think it's coming along. Here are a few pictures, need a tiny bit more filler in certain spots, but I think it looks pretty good. Super tough to do the curvature just right.

EH3 in the making.

March 17, 2014, 01:47 AM #20

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                                          • Reputation Power: 205
                                          • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                                          I freaking love EG's. Wish mine hadn't been so rusty!
                                          Looking forward to seeing this completed!
                                          Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                                          I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

March 17, 2014, 09:56 AM #21

Matthew Offline

Originally posted by jordisonjr
                                            I freaking love EG's. Wish mine hadn't been so rusty!
                                            Looking forward to seeing this completed!

Thanks Colin, me too  :hurr:
                                            EH3 in the making.

March 17, 2014, 10:50 AM #22

fruitloops Offline

• Reputation Power: 23
                                              • fruitloops barely matters.fruitloops barely matters.
                                              So sick. Git er done Matt!
                                              Bought, not Built.

March 17, 2014, 11:00 AM #23

Matthew Offline

Originally posted by fruitloops
                                                So sick. Git er done Matt!

ty Ty S :)

I'm trying!
                                                EH3 in the making.

March 17, 2014, 02:59 PM #24

dolan Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 civic si
                                                  • Reputation Power: 0
                                                  • dolan is looked down upon.
                                                  Nice build Matt, if you need a hand with bodywork i could lend a hand or two here and there. Cant wait to see this thing finished.

You should also turbo charge it this year, it is the turbo year after all lol.
                                                  Dyllan Angelkovski (aka) Dyllan Africa

[Mar 27 22:16:27] Uncle Hugh Myron:i bet PEAVEY MART NOW OPEN has it

Top Tier Imports

babyfod's eh3 build
                                                    « Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 02:59 PM »