Author Topic: Baja WRX - Car? Truck? Turbo!  (Read 15401 times)

April 23, 2016, 10:11 AM #150

Bajaha Offline

• Vehicle: 2003 Subaru Baja
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Bajaha has no influence.
Since I'm going to tackle the rust this year before it becomes an actual problem I've decided to paint the whole car rather than trying to match the small sections (need to make another hood so that it doesn't weigh a ton as well) but I can't decide on a colour.

Something like a dark candy apple red pearl is a top contender, lets me leave the engine bay and most of the door jambs alone since they're already red.

A bold green or blue would be nifty as well. Ugh, so many choices... too many choices. Removing the motor and all the accessory crap is going to be a pain if I go away from red colours. I think it would really bug me to leave the bay and other details red, even if its not visible unless you pop the hood, but I've seen loads of Honda guys do it and I guess it's not *that* bad.

Suggestions? Thinking of sticking with the two-tone, I'm so used to it that the mono-tone ones through me off.

In the vein of taking a break from studying, I whipped up a few variations on my Baja to help visualize the colors. (click for HUGE)

My feeling is that darker colours suit the car better.

I've also found a possible OEM colour that would look great:

Sedona Red Pearl

Lexus Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0

Saw this colour in person at a car show, and it blew me away. Looks stunning in person. Skilled artists Monkey with access to Photoshop rendition below:

And at a cost of $Texas$ most likely, Dodge Viper Stryker red

It just looks so alive, and from the process, I bet it has incredible depth in person. Kinda scared to get a quote for this though as the process seems really involved.

Gold with a *lot* of dark metallic flake is also a contender.
Of course I'd also love to hear your recommendations for painters / body shops.
Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:13 AM by Bajaha

Top Tier Imports

Baja WRX - Car? Truck? Turbo!
    « Reply #150 on: April 23, 2016, 10:11 AM »

April 23, 2016, 11:00 AM #151

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2002 Subaru Forester XT
    • Reputation Power: 94
    • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
    I'd go for the Sedona red pearl for the whole car. Pragmatic and I think I looks great. I don't like dark grey for the panels, to me it cheapens it.

So second collage, middle bottom for me.
    Current Forester count: 1
    Owner, Next Level Escapes

May 01, 2016, 10:56 AM #152

Bajaha Offline

Originally posted by dano
      I'd go for the Sedona red pearl for the whole car. Pragmatic and I think I looks great. I don't like dark grey for the panels, to me it cheapens it.

So second collage, middle bottom for me.

The dark grey is hard to photoshop, it comes out looking more gloss finish than the metallic finish I'm shooting for it. I'll be hemming and hawing over colour choice for a good month or two still while I strip down the car for paint.

Top contenders are below: 

For the body cladding:

Subaru Dark Grey Metallic 61K

Chevy Cyber Grey Metallic WA637R

For the body itself:

Dodge Stryker Red Pearl RK/LRK

Lexus Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 8X1

Dodge Stryker Purple PHL/NHL

My wife is pointing me towards a more dramatic change, in her words, "If you're spending all this money anyway, why do you want to be boring and get a similar colour to what you have. Go all out."

And now, for an update:

As we know, our frozen wasteland has thawed out and it's time to think of the warm summer, so that means winter rubber has to come off. Took my winters back off of my parents foz and gave them a wash. Just have to soak them in 303 before storage

Since I'm switching their car over...

FORESTER UPDATE

Winter MODE:

As I previously stated (or at least I think I did) I finally got a set of wheels for summer that was made in this decade! Behold what $140 Canadian Pesos can get you from the 'jij:

You keen eye readers may have noticed the playing cards surrounding the perimeter of the steel wheels. Well, silver is kinda boring, and these had some specs of rust here and there, and well... I had some paint laying around from my previous projects (plus some that has *expired* so no good for use on things I care too much about).

Since I had limited resources laying around, I went with a silver base coat and a splattering of gold on top for some sparkle and topped it off with expired 2K clear coat. Still looked and smelled fresh so what the heck, we'll give it a try. couple hours passed, did some stuff around town, grabbed a fatboy for lunch with the missus, and we're back at the races.

GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD

And there ya have it. Looks good enough in my eyes and damn bit better than rusty wheels so I'm happy.

May 01, 2016, 09:40 PM #153

Darkness Offline

• Vehicle: 1988 Nissan 300zx
        • Darkness has no influence.
        Originally posted by Bajaha
        Dodge Stryker Red Pearl RK/LRK

I love this colour, but it's a pretty lengthy process to make it look the way it does. It takes them 8 hours to paint a Viper that colour.

May 15, 2016, 07:30 PM #154

Bajaha Offline

Originally posted by Darkness
          I love this colour, but it's a pretty lengthy process to make it look the way it does. It takes them 8 hours to paint a Viper that colour.

I've seen the process, and yeah it looks really labour intensive but I'm hoping that with the Baja's mostly flat surfaces it'll be simpler to sand between coats, the viper has some many curves that I can see it necessitating a hand sand on most of the panels. Plus there really isn't *that* much red on the Baja, over half of it is plastic cladding. I wonder if all the 'Stryker' colours are like that anyway?

Anyway, went dealership cruising to check out OEM colours and found some really nice greys in case the corvette grey disappoints in person, saw a grey corvette driving around but I can't confirm if it was cyber grey, looked good in any case. 

This (matte iirc) grey is gorgeous, but I've heard matte jobs are a huge pain to maintain so I don't think I want to go down that particular rabbit hole.

Then there's this Lexus grey, definitely caught my eye.

As I've mentioned in the general subform, my Forester was stolen one morning. My wife had driven it the night before and parked it out in front of the house. In the morning I come out ready to drive to work and I do a double take and think to myself where the hell is the car? I go back home and ask my wife where she parked the damn thing and she says it's right in the driveway. Walk out again, look around on the street,  and it hits me. Damn, it's stolen.

Later that day it was found by police and towed to the impound. After a couple days they completed their investigation and the car was handed over to MPI and I got a call that the car is totaled. Went to go pick up our things from the car.

Punched in lock as expected

Deconstructed ignition with a distinct essence of going back to basics

And a wheel that is distinctly not mine.

My best guess is they stole the forester because it's big enough to transport the other stuff they wanted to steal, which included those wheels. Car had a bunch of receipts in it from service on a ford bronco, so I'm assuming that's what the wheels are from. Anyway, still have to settle with insurance on how much the forester was worth, I've got a bunch of receipts and pictures from all the work I've done on it since I've bought it ( < 6 months ago), and now I get to go car shopping.

Good night sweet prince, your gold wheels were not meant for this world.

Oh, and I got wood.

Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 07:34 PM by Bajaha

May 15, 2016, 08:25 PM #155

HBeat Offline

• Vehicle: 1991 Honda Beat
            • Reputation Power: 2
            • HBeat has no influence.
            Something different ?
            3 cyl ITB 650cc. MR

May 16, 2016, 01:21 PM #156

Boyli Offline

• Vehicle: 2007 Impreza, 1994 Camry
              • Reputation Power: 23
              • Boyli barely matters.Boyli barely matters.
              I hope you've got deep pockets for a pearl red lol

May 16, 2016, 01:59 PM #157

Bajaha Offline

Originally posted by Boyli
                I hope you've got deep pockets for a pearl red lol

I've got a budget for $3k-5k for paint and labor to smooth it out and clean up the rust. I'll be removing the cladding to help with the labor cost. I thought it should be reasonable in that range, but I've still got to go around and get concrete quotes. Am I off in left field or in the ballpark?

May 16, 2016, 02:55 PM #158

Boyli Offline

I've got a budget for $3k-5k for paint and labor to smooth it out and clean up the rust. I'll be removing the cladding to help with the labor cost. I thought it should be reasonable in that range, but I've still got to go around and get concrete quotes. Am I off in left field or in the ballpark?

That's a good budget and should get you a good paint job, although you might be on the higher end of that with a pearl red. I tried looking up that Stryker red in my system at work and I couldn't find it. But to give you an idea, a gallon of Mazda Soul Red (Paint code 41V) ground coat and pearl coat would be about $2000 altogether (Transtar solvent based paint) and likely even more in the Cromax waterbased paint.

Here's the 41V to give you an idea:

August 01, 2016, 01:22 PM #159

Bajaha Offline

Well, I haven't gotten off my ass yet and the Baja is sitting neglected in the garage. SOON IT WILL GET THE ATTENTION IT DEsERveS.

But I did do some interesting things in the meantime. The forester has moved to happier places, as nice as it would have been to take it back and sort it out a few possible maintenance items that would need attention made me rethink buying it back. The fat stack of cash I was offered also helped me part ways with the forester.

Godspeed forester, it sold for $600 + tax at the auction.

Two weeks ago I was away on a business trip in the Toronto area and was trolling kijiji looking for cars to fix&flip, and after getting bored looking through all the listings, I did a search for something sporty and fun. I've always wanted a convertible...

Found a higher mileage 2005 Porsche Boxster, test drove it, looked it over, and bargained my way down to a good price and left a deposit the night when I flew down.

The following day I played around with ATM's and the banks and paid the remainder.

I went through bureaucratic hell of faxing and signing and calling and dealing with a government agency a few minutes before their closing time to get it insured in my name. Drove it back to my hotel that night and the following morning I asked my boss to cancel my flight home and made arrangements to drive it back. First thing  I did was give it a good wash.

The PO was not one to actually clean the car often, and he parked it under trees so there's plenty of sap and dirt everywhere on this. Once it's home I have to spend a full weekend and do a proper detail of the thing. In the meantime the coin op wash down the road from the hotel will have to do. The PO was kind enough to leave ~$20 in change between the seats and console.

The car is in really good shape for its age and mileage, original paint all round, not a spec of rust, motor sounds solid, suspension is phenomenal, brakes are good and look like they have a good amount of meat left on them, and other than being in dire need of a good detail and some minor issues with the interior I'm perfectly happy.

The leather could use conditioning but there's no rips.

It's a base model with the 2.7l motor, but it has some goodies. Heated seats, Bi-Xenon package, 18" optional wheels.

Apparently it was winter driven by the PO as it came with a second set of wheels with winter tires mounted on them.

After only a day of ownership, someone managed to screw it up already. I parked as far away as possible from all the entrances to the hotel, directly under a light, and in the section of the parking lot that is 90%+ empty. Looks like someone tried to pull in right beside it and clipped the nose on the way in. The damage isn't too bad, a scrape, a dent, a crack, and a warning on the dashboard to accompany me on the way home telling me to check my front left light. Bye Bye $500 deductible  :'(

After my business trip was finished, I began my journey home. I took HWY-1 through Canada, the scenic route. Driving through the Canadian shield is something every canadian automotive enthusiast should try at least once.

Toronto to Sault-Ste Marie is a little bit of a boring drive, but between Sault-Ste Marie and Thunder Bay is just magic. Elevation changes, twisty roads, smooth as glass, excellent views. It was phenomenal, and the porsche was made for this kind of driving. The only downside is the numerous construction projects along the way, Hit a milestone along the drive as well:

The honeymoon did not last, and after 1800 km of driving something went wrong. I was a little over 340km away from home when I heard a snapping noise and the dashboard lights up an angry red telling me check the charging system. I pull over onto a side road off the highway and I notice I have strongarm steering. I suspect the serpentine belt went. I thought ahead, and purchased a CAA membership the previous week, the fanciest one they offer with a once a year 320km tow included.

I had the slight issue of being over the allowed mileage by 20km and that meant I would have to pay a crazy price per km for overage. Turns out my in-laws house is within the included towing distance so I rerouted it to there.

Once it arrived, I dug into it and took a look, turns out the pulley on the waterpump came off, I figured it seized and tracked down a replacement. The next day, I limped it over to a friends garage that was a few km away as I didn't feel like tearing into it on a slanted driveway or on the street. made it without an issue.

Face down, Ass up, that's the way we like ... to work on cars.

Took the old pump out

Weirdest failure I've seen. The water pump is not seized and spins freely,  and it looks like the pulley just snapped. Perhaps a defect in the metal that only caused a problem after many hours of continuous operation?

New pump in, a fresh belt, and a coolant change while I was in there. This thing takes 22.5l of coolant. That  was a lot of coolant and took a good time to pour.

Sounds as good as ever (I hope, sounds good to my subaru trained ears at least)

All seems well with the world and it's back to driving as it should. Went with friends and the wife for ice cream in celebration of getting it fixed.

That's my adventure for now.

August 01, 2016, 04:40 PM #160

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
                      • Reputation Power: 199
                      • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!

August 01, 2016, 07:19 PM #161

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                      • Reputation Power: 247
                      • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                      Nice pick up!
                      2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                      2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

August 01, 2016, 07:36 PM #162

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
                        • Reputation Power: 129
                        • Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!
                        Wow, you have had the absolute worst luck with vehicles in the last couple years :( Nice new ride though!
                        '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
                        '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
                        IG: colby_spence
                        Snap: cspence47

August 07, 2016, 01:17 PM #163

Bajaha Offline

Originally posted by Colby
                          Wow, you have had the absolute worst luck with vehicles in the last couple years :( Nice new ride though!

Yeah, it's always something. Don't know who I must've pissed off in a previous life, haha. At least I've been pretty good at recovering from the bad luck stuff for the most part.

Now for an update:

The more I drive the Porsche, the less I want to sell it. Current plan is to keep it for a while and have it as a summer car, then use the Baja exclusively for winter. With that being said, I think I'll just give the Baja over to a body shop to deal with the rust as I've never really welded and don't have access to a welder anyway, and leave it at that. Next year I'll redo the hood so that it weighs less than a thousand pounds as I'm running out of time this year and I don't see myself being able to finish that project in time.

I've done some maintenance things to the boxster, gave it a good wash and a quick polish, but the paint needs some work. Lots of little stone chips and the PO must have been fond of using a brush on the paintwork.

When it gets a little cooler out I'll try to do some more paint correction and hit with some more agressive compounds to get the rest of the swirls out.

As I've mentioned before, the keys look like somebody took a hammer to them then ran them over. Ratty as ****.

My new key cases came in and I transferred over the guts, the PO glued in the imobilizer chip so I had to get creative to get it out of the old key without damaging it.

New keys look and feel so much better. It's a small thing but it really makes a difference. I also took a better look at the winter tires and they look to be in great condition, still plenty of tread and a good brand. Pirelli.

I won't be using them since I'll have the Baja for winter so I've got to sell them, just have to figure out what a good price is. From basic research I was thinking in the $1000 - $1200 range would be fair for the wheels and tires.

Did a bit of an impulse purchase, but I'm happy with the price I paid and cursory googling leads me to believe I didn't do that bad.

As they're on commission, you can bargain with them so I got them for $150 CAD. Taking off the door panel was a fun forey into german engineering. They use the weirdest clips, and they love Torx.

Old and Busted:

New Hotness:

I did not realize how blown the speakers were, the drivers side was very obviously blown from the sound it was making, but I was not expecting the passenger side to be that bad. Installation was not too terrible, just had to break out the soldering iron as the OEM speaker harness is soldered in, so I had to get slightly longer wires and put it all back together.

The audio system now sounds 100x better.

August 08, 2016, 12:01 PM #164

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
                            • Reputation Power: 126
                            • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
                            Shaaamee :(
                            BAASSSSSSS
                            I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                            My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
                            Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

August 08, 2016, 02:34 PM #165

Bajaha Offline

Originally posted by Ctown8
                              Shaaamee :(

?

August 08, 2016, 02:41 PM #166

Ctown8 Offline

• Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
                                ?
                                Buying from visions
                                BAASSSSSSS
                                I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                                My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

August 08, 2016, 02:50 PM #167

Bajaha Offline

Buying from visions

Eh, it was quick and an impulse buy, with how bad the speakers were I was just looking for OEM or better replacement. To my ears the JL speakers sound good and for $150 I don't think I made out too bad. I'm not huge into car audio so don't really want anything beyond a quick drop in speaker replacement.

August 08, 2016, 02:51 PM #168

Ctown8 Offline

Eh, it was quick and an impulse buy, with how bad the speakers were I was just looking for OEM or better replacement. To my ears the JL speakers sound good and for $150 I don't think I made it too bad. I'm not huge into car audio so don't really want anything beyond a quick drop in speaker replacement.
                                    Dont get me wrong, JL makes very nice speakers and thats a very reasonable price, I just dislike visions.
                                    BAASSSSSSS

August 08, 2016, 02:54 PM #169

Bajaha Offline

Dont get me wrong, JL makes very nice speakers and thats a very reasonable price, I just dislike visions.

Fair enough, I don't think I'd trust them with an install, but I haven't had issues with products from them in the past, beyond the pushiness of their floor staff.

Granted I haven't really bought much at all from visions, so maybe I just got lucky.

August 08, 2016, 03:27 PM #170

Ctown8 Offline

Fair enough, I don't think I'd trust them with an install, but I haven't had issues with products from them in the past, beyond the pushiness of their floor staff.

Granted I haven't really bought much at all from visions, so maybe I just got lucky.

Yea i have no problem with they're products, more just the sales "team". I'd prefer everyone come to me  :lol:
                                        BAASSSSSSS

September 05, 2016, 04:12 PM #171

Bajaha Offline

I'm looking for place to make up a custom exhaust for the Porsche and finding a pipe bending wizard is harder than it looks. One highly recommended exhaust shop is one that hacked up my Baja's exhaust, and well it works but it was a bodge fix so I don't know if I want to go back. The latest recommended place that I found (Duals) sounded hesitant over the phone and mentioned that because of the backpressure I'd probably be better off buying something pre-fabbed online, kinda just sounded like he didn't want to touch it. My search continues.

In the mean time, some things happened:

Gave the Boxster a quick buff to clean it up a little more, black is amazing once clean but oh boy is it a lot of work:

In the mean time, my wife's new toy is officially done. Paint took a while to arrange but they did a bang up job and it looks fantastic. It's poser as hell, but the turbo model hood really fits the car and both my wife and I like it.

It's a 2010 2.5i Limited (fancy trim with the auto climate control, leather, and luxuries befitting a subaru) with 57k km and came with a remote start. Oil change is coming up soon, and I just did a few rounds of transmission drain and fill to clear out the old fluid.

Old Fluid coming out:

BLAAAACK ... oh ****, wait, that's not good.

57k km of hard driving apparently, smelled ok (well, how transmission fluid is supposed to smell I guess) but it was black. Cherry red fluid goes back in:

Bought a case of 12 of these guys, OEM-spec from what I read online.

Plop it down, drive it around, you got 98 bottles of beer on the wall lift it back up and do another drain and fill. Did it a total of 3 times and by the last time to fluid coming out resembled a nice cabernet sauvignon so the final fill should end up being pretty clean and clear. It drove fine before the new fluid but with how it looked it needed a change.

The Boxster also came back from the body shop that fixed the parking lot damage mentioned earlier in the thread. I paid them $rape to paint the hood and fenders as well (highway miles, little stone chips everywhere) and it looks amazing now, like a brand new car. They did a really good job and I'm happy. I also bought a rho-plate (no drill license plate holder, goes into the tow hook hole) so that the fresh new bumper wouldn't get holes drilled into it, now I just have a crowded driveway:

(Pic is pre rho plate install, obviously)

September 06, 2016, 08:18 AM #172

Boyli Offline

Looking awesome Paul! I just got into the subaru game with an 07 Hawkeye wagon not too long ago and I'm loving it. Unfortunately it's just an auto 2.5i but it's still a fun little daily.

I can't remember, have you graduated yet? I've still got 2 more years :(

September 06, 2016, 11:00 PM #173

Bajaha Offline

Originally posted by Boyli
                                              Looking awesome Paul! I just got into the subaru game with an 07 Hawkeye wagon not too long ago and I'm loving it. Unfortunately it's just an auto 2.5i but it's still a fun little daily.

I can't remember, have you graduated yet? I've still got 2 more years :(

Very nice, the Hawkeyes are pretty sharp looking and being a wagon it can haul anything. Just wait till you drive through the winter  ;D

I graduated this spring in April, out in the real world now, haha. Actually thinking of going back to do my masters in the evenings but I sat on my hands for too long so I missed the fall semester, I'll have to look at my options for the spring term or start next year.

October 16, 2016, 01:15 PM #174

Bajaha Offline

Porsche Update:

Still getting used to the the little nuances of ownership, like not having a dipstick and having to wait for an oil measurement.

And small things breaking on it every once in awhile. The plastic ball socket on the convertible pushrods broke, and when one snapped, the other got overloaded and snapped immediately as well.

No fear though, while Porsche does not sell the plastic socket by itself but only sell the whole assembly for $$$, there is a good aftermarket for these as it is apparently a common issue. For a modest price, I've ordered a set of replacement sockets. In the mean time I was stuck without an automatic convertible, but I could still move the top manually. A couple weeks of this was no big deal while I waited for the parts to arrive.

I confirmed that the top movement was free of binding and was nice and smooth, I'm fairly confident this is just an age issue and that nothing is bent / binding in the top. Replacement parts came and all is well again.

And with that, It's almost winter again so the prep has begun. I've got a shed full of winter tires and I'm ready for the season.

Cleaned up the garage to get some more space and hopefully remember where all the random little stuff is:

For this season, I figured I'd be prepared and got myself and my wife some very nice Primitive Racing skid plates:

Fuel economy gains would be nice on the highway as my wife's commute is primarily highway, and this should offer some decent protection from large chunks of ice and other road hazards. But alas, my winter prep was cut short. Work required me to travel and I got to visit Chicago and Niagara falls again.

Chicago is a beautiful destination and I was chosen as the designated driver by my coworkers. The inner european in me came out and I had a blast driving around town. Heavy traffic and driving on the lower streets is definitely an experience.

Went to some pretty great restaurants, The Billy Goat of SNL fame, and Uno's where supposedly the deep dish pizza originated, and hit up the magnificent mile in typical tourist fashion. After the US, came back to canada and enjoyed Niagara Falls again. Whenever I'm in the area I've got to stop by. This time I managed to visit without buying another car.

Although I did see this pretty pimpin ride out there when I was fuelling up:

Well, anyway, I'm back home now and winter preparation continues. The Baja has come out of storage and has been restored to daily driver status:

And that means the porsche gets it's final wash for the season and gets put away for winter.

With the temperatures in the low double digits nowadays, washing it was fun.

Clean and ready, backed up into the garage, hooked up to a battery tender, and a car cover thrown on to help keep the dust off over winter. (photo is pre cover and battery tender if it wasn't obvious enough.)

I've bought a bunch of maintenance parts for the porsche which will get done around spring time before I bring it out again for the season.

And I've bought the OEM floormats that should have come with the car. The small little things just really bring the car together.

And my wife's car gets new summer wheels for next season. They were intended to be winter wheels, but something better came up.

We found a set of 15" steel wheels, and after confirming they fit, they came home for the low low price of $60 for the set.

Wrapped them in new Blizzaks and she's all set for winter. Baja's made it out to a car show, Winnipeg Subie Fest, and managed to snag an award.

And winter is getter ever closer:

Top Tier Imports

Baja WRX - Car? Truck? Turbo!
                                                  « Reply #174 on: October 16, 2016, 01:15 PM »