Author Topic: DIY: Retrofiting Aftermarket USB Cable  (Read 878 times)

May 11, 2014, 07:35 PM #0

DhiJay23 Offline

• Vehicle: 2011 Mitsubishi RVR
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • DhiJay23 has no influence.
I want to make my RVR as neat as possible regarding to cables and wiring. This was done so that I could retrofit the USB from the aftermarket radio to where the factory was. Loose cables from my glovebox really gets into me. :rolleyes: Im gonna try to explain it as clear as I can since English is not my mother tongue, So bare with me guys. :D
Tools needed: USB Cable, Phillips head screwdriver, Wire Stripper. Soldering Iron, Electrical Tape and Prying tool.So this is my first DIY and I hoping to contribute to the OS community and thanks to cadilak78 for the tips how to removed the centerpiece trim.

1st: Remove the trim. Just follow this thread.DIY: Interior Trim Vinyl Wrap

2nd:  Once the trim piece is removed, There's another trim that needs to be remove to locate the connections of the USB,12V and the AUX Inputs in the armrest box. There's 4 screws that needs to remove. (Sorry I forgot to take a picture. Just use the image above)

3rd: Once all the trims removed, You can see the connections are all exposed. Remove this connector that connects to factory USB

4th: I know its bad to cut the original wiring but since I want everything wiring to be neat and I know its not gonna ruin any major connection I cut this wire that connects to the factory USB. Here's what inside the factory connector.

5th: Cut the Male USB cable and here's what inside.

6th: Connect the two cables together and here what your wiring should look like.

7th: Secure all connections and solder it together. I ran out of heat shrink so I used electrical tape on each wire connection and taped it again altogether.

8th: Connect the two USB and and start hiding the cable. I start mine from here all the way to the center.

9th: Reconnect this connector. (forgot to take pictures again)

10th: Start putting the trim pieces back together and Enjoy.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'll help out any way I can.
Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:52 PM by DhiJay23

Top Tier Imports

DIY: Retrofiting Aftermarket USB Cable
    « on: May 11, 2014, 07:35 PM »

May 11, 2014, 07:37 PM #1

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
    • Reputation Power: 199
    • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
    Solid write up. I'd check the connection before reassembly though
    Originally posted by Madbuzz41
    I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

May 11, 2014, 09:54 PM #2

DhiJay23 Offline

• Vehicle: 2011 Mitsubishi RVR
      • Reputation Power: 2
      • DhiJay23 has no influence.
      Originally posted by jordisonjr
      Solid write up. I'd check the connection before reassembly though
      Okay. Hope it helps.

Top Tier Imports

DIY: Retrofiting Aftermarket USB Cable
        « Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:54 PM »