Author Topic: Cruise Control Wiring issues  (Read 380 times)

July 24, 2014, 01:10 PM #0

94turbo-eg Offline

• Reputation Power: 1
  • 94turbo-eg has no influence.
Hey everyone!

I recently acquired a 96 corolla and it came wired with cruise control but it was just missing the switch so I went to bucks auto and picked up the switch for 5$ (god I love that place) but then when I went to install it, I saw that there were 6 wires coming from the cruise control in the car but there are only 4 wires on the switch I bought (the 4 wires are in a 6 pin connector with 2 pins empty).

I guess my big question is, is there a way to know what these wires do so I have a better idea how to properly hook everything up, or is anyone out there very knowledgeable about the subject that could give me a hand. This is my first time dealing with cruise control so I'm not too sure what to do. I tried looking it up but I couldn't find too much to help me.

If anyone has any info on this, it would be super helpful!

Thanks!!

Top Tier Imports

Cruise Control Wiring issues
    « on: July 24, 2014, 01:10 PM »

July 24, 2014, 02:55 PM #1

Winter Beater Offline

• Vehicle: 03 350Z Track Edition, 05 4 Runner, 98 GMC Shitbox
    • Reputation Power: 95
    • Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!
    I'm guessing factory cruise? Fine the manufacturer wiring diagram and go from there. You likely have a switch from one year/ trim model and your car is a different year/model. You'll need both wiring diagrams and you should be able to figure it out.

July 30, 2014, 03:16 AM #2

Eden Offline

• Vehicle: Supra
      • Reputation Power: 13
      • Eden has no influence.
      Cruise control normally only needs 2 or 3 wires, but a wiring diagram will sort it out for you.  If you ever take one apart, you'd likely find some resistors in there that tell your ECU which function you're using on the cruise stalk, via a pull-up resistor input (different resistance value for different functions.)  One wire would be ground, one would be the signal to ECU, one of your 4 is also likely for on/off toggle, and I don't know what the fourth would be for without a diagram.  Good luck.
      USDM MKIV Supra - 800BHP / 636RWHP at 20PSI on E70 through a Titan-built automatic.  3.2L stroker, Borg Warner S363

http://TheraVape.net
      www.facebook.com/theravapeinc

July 30, 2014, 10:37 AM #3

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
        • Reputation Power: 43
        • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
        When I get home I'll post a picture from the factory service manual. (May have sold it with my old rolla)
        Usually on Toyota's there's only 3-4 wires at the switch, all having different resistance values sharing a common trigger. (As Eden mentioned)
        It's odd that the switch was gone but the actuator/wiring/module was there.
        D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
        04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
        Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
        http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

Top Tier Imports

Cruise Control Wiring issues
          « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:37 AM »