Author Topic: Winter's Autobody  (Read 3208 times)

August 15, 2014, 04:58 PM #0

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
I finally decided to write a review of Winter's Autobody.

The first time I took my car there was because in the winter I made a right onto Portage from my street and went around a large chunk of ice which missed my tires but high-sided by rocker panel, which mashed it right the hell up. It bent it so badly that my passenger door couldn't open or close properly until a kind man at a bodyshop on Arlington took a chunk of wood and a mallet to it to pound it down.

There book-in time was 5 weeks, so I made the appointment before I saw MPI, as they were booking 2-3 weeks in advance.

When I dropped my car off I was given a 2012 Ford Focus sedan for free, I only had to bring it back with as much as gas as I picked it up with, and that was on an honor system as well. I was rather happy with the car as it was completely cleaned when they gave me it.

Winter's had my car for around a week and a half, when I picked it up, the inside and outside of my car was cleaned and the work they did was perfect. I was also happy with the time it took them as they had to cut out the old rocker panel, weld in a new one then do all the paint and rock guard.

However, there was a decent sized scratch on my passenger door, I walked in and told the guy that I was dealing with about it and he told me they'd take care of it when I brought my car in next (They new I was coming back for other damage at this point).

The next time I dropped my car off, which was for some hit and run/assholes in a parking lot damage, they again gave me a completely clean 2012 Ford Focus, this time a hatchback. They had my car for exactly 7 days and once again the work was perfect and my car was clean inside and out.

As for the damage to my passenger door that occurred at their shop, they were able to simply buff it out, so the same guy that I dealt with previous times called me up and told me that it was removed just by buffing/polishing and he asked if I would like to use my courtesy repair for rather large door ding on my drivers door (someone had to really hit my car good as it was on a body line), of course I accepted and asked if I could come down and take a look at the area they buffed and polished to make sure it was good, he agreed. When I got there they had already repaired the door ding, which involved spot welding it and using a slide hammer to get it out.

I picked up my car today, repairs are spotless, the 3 doors that had some damage on them look brand new and I'm extremely pleased with the work they did and how courteous they are.

10/10 I'm pleased. I would definitely recommend this shop to anyone.
(∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

Top Tier Imports

Winter's Autobody
    « on: August 15, 2014, 04:58 PM »

August 22, 2014, 10:52 AM #1

Vince Offline

• Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
    Little bit of an Update.

I absolutely wanted to give these guys a great review, but I'm going to have to change the "10/10" I gave them.

I picked up my car on Friday, and Friday evening when I was changing my air filter I looked down the body line and saw that my bumper was put back together improperly.

I'm guessing that there was two people who were in charge of getting my car ready for me to pick it up. The person who put my bumper on, and the guy who cleaned it.

Neither of them obviously cared enough to point this out.

I realize that this is not the biggest mistake ever, but it's just plain sloppy and it pisses me off that their employees didn't have the integrity to fix it, or report it to their manager(s). I would not have minded waiting till Monday to pick my car up, but instead I have to waste my time today to go there and sit around while they fix it.

Final Score - 7/10

Would still recommend, but go over your car before you drive off.

August 22, 2014, 11:01 AM #2

Dan

What.... i can't even.

Thats just a matter of pushing it in, no?

August 22, 2014, 11:09 AM #3

Vince Offline

Originally posted by Dan
        What.... i can't even.

Thats just a matter of pushing it in, no?
        Honestly, I thought it was just a bit out of place so I tried, but nope.

It's for them to fix anyway.

August 22, 2014, 12:07 PM #4

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
          • Reputation Power: 43
          • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
          Clip behind May be broken.
          Or as the bumper was tightened it popped out.
          Sometimes aftermarket bumpers mpi calls for on claims don't fit great.
          Even capa certified is sometimes off.
          They will fix it.
          My cars at winters and I'd rather deal with them then some others I've had to.
          Painters match well and they use top grade products.
          They stand behind there work for life which says something.
          D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
          04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
          Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
          http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

August 25, 2014, 07:32 PM #5

Vince Offline

I'm going back there tomorrow, and this time I'm really pissed.

My drivers side window is rattling and making noises windows normally don't.

Going to talk to Birchwood Honda tomorrow and see if they can take a look at it as well.

August 25, 2014, 07:40 PM #6

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
              • Reputation Power: 19
              • cluelessk has no influence.
              These both seem like minor things.

I understand getting frustrated or annoyed but getting pissed is over reacting.

At least give them the opportunity to fix it. They fixed the door scratch.
              [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

August 25, 2014, 08:14 PM #7

Dan

Originally posted by Vince
                I'm going back there tomorrow, and this time I'm really pissed.

My drivers side window is rattling and making noises windows normally don't.

Going to talk to Birchwood Honda tomorrow and see if they can take a look at it as well.

The more you appear pissed, the less they will even attempt to fix the issues.  Keep your calm.

August 26, 2014, 07:47 AM #8

slipstreamconversion Offline

• Vehicle: 1997 Toyota Aristo / 1993 Toyota Camry
                  • Reputation Power: 82
                  • slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.
                  Go in there guns blazing.

Demand they pay off your lease.

Win?

August 26, 2014, 01:33 PM #9

Vince Offline

I wrote that post right after I saw that it was broken so I was pissed off.

When I went in I was polite and civil.

Kind of bugged me that the guy didn't apologize or anything though. Just said "All done, here you go".

August 26, 2014, 02:13 PM #10

alsalim Offline

• Vehicle: Evo IX 2006 SE
                      • Reputation Power: 4
                      • alsalim has no influence.
                      I had similar s**y service from them

September 04, 2014, 12:00 AM #11

Dan

@CFMP RAblue   Need a body shop? :hurr:

February 24, 2016, 06:03 PM #12

Vince Offline

Bumping this.

I got rear ended last winter, took it into winters in spring/early summer. I had overlapping damage (according to MPI), so Winters had to fix the left side (small ****ing scratch that cost me $300), as well as the rear end damage in the right side. Anyways..

Was washing my car tonight after work and the paint is peeling on my bumper on the inside of the wheel well.

This is the third time I'm going to have to take my car back to them for warranty work.
                          1) One of their techs scuffed my door, they buffed it out in good faith fixed a large door dent on a body line.
                          2) Paint was peeling on the inside of my gas tank sometime last summer
                          3) Paint peeling on bumper (current).

I'm pretty pissed. I think next time I need a body shop I'll go to Vernaus. They're closed now so I'll call them tomorrow and raise hell.

February 24, 2016, 07:42 PM #13

dolan Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 civic si
                            • Reputation Power: 0
                            • dolan is looked down upon.
                            Bumping this.

I got rear ended last winter, took it into winters in spring/early summer. I had overlapping damage (according to MPI), so Winters had to fix the left side (small ****ing scratch that cost me $300), as well as the rear end damage in the right side. Anyways..

Was washing my car tonight after work and the paint is peeling on my bumper on the inside of the wheel well.

This is the third time I'm going to have to take my car back to them for warranty work.
                            1) One of their techs scuffed my door, they buffed it out in good faith fixed a large door dent on a body line.
                            2) Paint was peeling on the inside of my gas tank sometime last summer
                            3) Paint peeling on bumper (current).

I'm pretty pissed. I think next time I need a body shop I'll go to Vernaus. They're closed now so I'll call them tomorrow and raise hell.
                            Could always bring it to my shop man. Well do it right the first time.
                            Dyllan Angelkovski (aka) Dyllan Africa

[Mar 27 22:16:27] Uncle Hugh Myron:i bet PEAVEY MART NOW OPEN has it

February 25, 2016, 03:03 PM #14

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
                              • Reputation Power: 123
                              • Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!
                              When they found out that my car was RHD they refused to look at it, gave me the papers back and told to take it elsewhere. He was nice about it but wasted 3 weeks of my time. Had a great experience with Frontier Autobody outside of the city down Pembina.
                              '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
                              '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
                              IG: colby_spence
                              Snap: cspence47

February 25, 2016, 06:20 PM #15

Vince Offline

Update:

Went there today after work...

They're going to fix the flaking paint for free under warranty.. BUT..

Some asshole scuffed my bumper like 10" from where it's flaking, and he said that his paint manufacturer won't cover the warranty claim if there's damage nearby that's going to get fixed at the same time. He did up a quick estimate and it's $633 to have it fixed, which seems a bit steep IMO, unless they have to refinish the ENTIRE bumper. But, he did give me an amazing price to have it fixed ($200) which is cheaper than my deductible.

Unfortunately, I start school on April 11th, which means 10 weeks of no pay, since I am taking a trade though I'm eligible to claim E.I while in school, however that takes 8-10 to kick in... So, as such I'm trying to save as much money as possible so I'm not poor AF while I'm in school. I'll probably end up taking my car in right when I start school though.

February 25, 2016, 07:11 PM #16

cluelessk Offline

The shop I work for would probably do it for half if not less.

City shops seem to price private work high to avoid it. They mainly stick to insurance work.

How bad is the scuff? Through clear?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

February 25, 2016, 07:12 PM #17

Vince Offline

Originally posted by cluelessk
                                    The shop I work for would probably do it for half if not less.

City shops seem to price private work high to avoid it. They mainly stick to insurance work.

How bad is the scuff? Through clear?

It's down to the paint in a couple spots. A couple spots would just buff out.

There's still the issue of the peeling/flaking paint though.

February 25, 2016, 07:16 PM #18

cluelessk Offline

It's down to the paint in a couple spots. A couple spots would just buff out.

There's still the issue of the peeling/flaking paint though.
                                      Just wondering how severe the scuff was.

If you're not happy with it. Let Winters know you'll be contacting MPI to complain. If MPI sides with you which is a huge "if" cause the other damage. The shop will have to fix it for you or pay another shop to do the repair.

Shops are terrified of MPI issues since they can make operating very difficult.

Top Tier Imports

Winter's Autobody
                                        « Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 07:16 PM »