Author Topic: BCM Issues  (Read 839 times)

September 03, 2014, 12:15 PM #0

slipstreamconversion Offline

• Vehicle: 1997 Toyota Aristo / 1993 Toyota Camry
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.
Forgive me if I'm in the wrong section, just saw this was "Electrical"

I was driving today and noticed my change oil soon light turned on. This made sense to me because it's been a while since my last oil change.

I looked down, and my odometer says 101927km, and my next oil change is supposed to be at 105000km. Then I remembered looking at the odometer a while back and having roughly the same amount of km, even though I've been driving a lot lately.

So this time I decided to keep an eye on my odometer, and sure enough it wasn't advancing forward. I tried the trip odometer and same thing, stuck on 202.8

Other info:
- Speedometer and Tachometer work, gauges work, no unusual fault codes
- 2000 LW2

So I did some research, and apparently there is an open campaign for L-Series cars, yet for my year (2000) there is only a specific list on this campaign. It has to do with reprogramming the BCM because any loss of power (like unplugging a battery) can cause a glitch in the software. My car doesn't fall under this list. Everything works, all lights, wipers, locks, you name it. Just the odometer. I have disconnected the battery for about an hours time due to an interior swap and not wanting to have the airbags go off since I was working around the airbag deployment module, earlier in the month. Which makes sense because the mileage is behind by 4000km so that kinda correlates.

So either I go to GM and get it reprogrammed, or I look at the speed sensor on the outside of the transmission (apparently that's where it is).

Seeing if there is any kind of speculation, or thoughts from you guys before I go pay the 70 dollars for "diagnosis charges" at the local Chevrolet dealership on Wednesday  . According to Saturnfans, there is a possibility of the replacement and reprogram that cost a guy 430 dollars. I don't have that kind of money. I would like this mileage to be accurate though, and do consider this a priority, because if the BCM is at fault, I want to catch this problem before it gets worse.

Does anyone work for GM and can tell me the pricing for reprogramming including labor? And replacement?

BCM Campaign:
http://workshop-manuals.com/saturn/l...rate_odometer/

Speed sensor locations and various info:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172938

Top Tier Imports

BCM Issues
    « on: September 03, 2014, 12:15 PM »

September 03, 2014, 04:51 PM #1

DonR Offline

• Vehicle: 83 CAMARO Z28/94 K1500
    • Reputation Power: 80
    • DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.DonR is a force to reckon with.
    Originally posted by slipstreamconversion
    So either I go to GM and get it reprogrammed, or I look at the speed sensor on the outside of the transmission (apparently that's where it is).

speed sensor is  on the engine output shaft(on my bmw at least)  so you're placement is pretty well spot on, just had this sensor die on my bmw but it does effect the speedo. (again it did at least on my bmw)
    my speedo now bounces around like a squirrel on cocaine.
    nothing wrong with my odometer though.  not sure if its just the difference between bmw and a saturn, or if i have a totally different speed sensor in mind.
    i don't have much experience with it either.  interested to hear what is causing it though.
    i'd personally explore all routes before spending money at a dealership- generally dealers are pricey.
    just my 2 cents.
    Good luck though!
    [Sep 19 13:42:06] alexatwork21:I just want to rub butter on my body and dance the night away. Probably drink, maybe jack off a donkey. I just want to get lost in the moment.

89 240SX- SOLD
    95 GTR- SOLD
    03 RSX-S - SOLD
    08 G6- wrekt
    10 Gen Coupe- WREKT

September 03, 2014, 08:45 PM #2

daveh Offline

• Vehicle: Subaru
      • Reputation Power: 3
      • daveh has no influence.
      As far as I could tell with my 2000 Tahoe and my 2001 GM pickup, the oil life monitor simply came on 12500 km after it was reset. If that is the case, your ecm is likely still logging the mileage but the cluster isn't. I wouldn't really look at the speed sensor as your speedo still functions.

If you aren't into spending the money, you could calibrate a bicycle computer to track your mileage or get into a simple rally computer for less than the saturnfans dude paid.

September 03, 2014, 09:46 PM #3

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
        • Reputation Power: 21
        • cluelessk barely matters.cluelessk barely matters.
        Didn't you swap out the cluster? Could be an issue there.
        [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

September 03, 2014, 10:31 PM #4

CFMP RAblue Offline

• Vehicle: 09 Mits Ralliart Octane blue
          • Reputation Power: 58
          • CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.
          Originally posted by cluelessk
          ^this and I would try diconnecting your battery again and leaving it for a while, doing the car god dance and hook it all back up.

Good Luck!
          "Go Fast, Stop Fast"
          Extreme Stop Slotted/Drilled Rotors
          KVR Performance Slotted Rotors
          Magnaflow CBE

September 04, 2014, 07:39 AM #5

• slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.
            Originally posted by cluelessk

The cluster doesn't hold the mileage data, that lies in the BCM.

And yeah Grant, today I'm gonna disconnect it for a while, come back and see what happens.  I shall perfect the car god dance.

September 04, 2014, 07:44 AM #6

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
              • Reputation Power: 21
              • cluelessk barely matters.cluelessk barely matters.
              Still I'm sure miss communication between the two could screw with something
              [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

September 04, 2014, 07:48 AM #7

The BCM controls the speedometer, tachometer and fuel and temp gauges.  The only difference on the board is the routing of power to the dash lights.

I will try putting the stock cluster back in, just for kicks, but I already know that won't be the problem.

If anything I'm just hoping it's not the sensor on the transmission.  Sounds like a pain to change.

September 04, 2014, 09:15 AM #8

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                  • Reputation Power: 370
                  • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                  If it turns out to be the cluster send me a message

September 04, 2014, 09:23 AM #9

Swapped back to original cluster during my break at work (had the original in the trunk)

Same problem.  Which I knew would happen anyways because this data is stored in the BCM.

Will disconnect battery for a bit on lunch and see what happens.

September 05, 2014, 07:43 AM #10

More hints that it points to the BCM.

My friend Aaron came over with a scantool, and it wouldn't connect or give info from the BCM, except for a live data stream of some basic things.

We went down a back lane at 20 km/h and got these readings at that speed

Shows it is going 0km/h, so that explains why my odometer isn't advancing.  And weirder yet, all four of my wheels are going different speeds.  Two of which going faster than I could ever go down a back lane haha.

I wonder if the dealer can reprogram the BCM or if they will make me get a new one and program it.

As a sidenote, I don't have ABS on this car. 

September 05, 2014, 09:16 AM #11

Dan

Just called my manager at our car care division.  He said the BCM needs to be re-programmed, or possibly replaced.    Hit up a junkyard buddy!

September 05, 2014, 09:29 AM #12

Replacement most likely.

You apparently can only program a BCM once with the VIN, Mileage etc.

Waiting on Melnick Motors to come at me bro with an estimate.  They have been awesome in the past for giving breaks and being up front and honest.  Partly because my mom's boyfriend is family with the owner lol.

We shall see what happens.

EDIT:  I would have to find a LW2 wagon of the same-ish mileage.  I haven't seen a LW2 in any yard, just the sedans.  But if I get the sedan BCM, my rear wiper won't work.

Top Tier Imports

BCM Issues
                            « Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 09:29 AM »