Author Topic: rotary question  (Read 1108 times)

September 30, 2014, 12:12 AM #0

TJ13x Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 mazda 3 skyactiv
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • TJ13x has no influence.
 I seen on kijiji there is an 87 rx7 for 600 bucks   sweet price right but here's the catch motor is seized    so if one could not unseize the motor   where would you buy a new one ( crate motor 13b )  or just rebuild the seized one      note I have not purchased this car   just toying with the idea and trying to research    so even links to websits that have good info would be very much appreciated  thank you for any input 

Top Tier Imports

rotary question
    « on: September 30, 2014, 12:12 AM »

September 30, 2014, 09:07 AM #1

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
    • Reputation Power: 172
    • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
    Originally posted by TJ13x
    I seen on kijiji there is an 87 rx7 for 600 bucks   sweet price right but here's the catch motor is seized    so if one could not unseize the motor   where would you buy a new one ( crate motor 13b )  or just rebuild the seized one      note I have not purchased this car   just toying with the idea and trying to research    so even links to websits that have good info would be very much appreciated  thank you for any input 
    Getting into a car with a motor you know absolutely nothing about, especially a rotary, seems like an awful idea, unless you have the patience to go and learn about it, or have someone local who knows them well.
    Originally posted by Madbuzz41
    I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

September 30, 2014, 12:14 PM #2

TJ13x Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 mazda 3 skyactiv
      • TJ13x has no influence.
      That's why I want to research on this motor I know rotary are high maintenace and such but how does one learn if they don't ask and try    I just figured it's a 600 dollar car with a seized motor and if I do say pick it up and it turns out I'm way in over my head will I'm out 600 bucks no Biggy   sell the car and call it a day is the way I look at   but I figure research first and ask people that have dealt with rotary before       but I understand what your saying completely

September 30, 2014, 12:30 PM #3

Rx7rotary Offline

• Vehicle: '85 RX-7 GSL-SE, '03 IS300
        • Reputation Power: 5
        • Rx7rotary has no influence.
        rx7club.com

There aren't usually a lot of reusable parts on a seized motor but this might be an exception. Id count on buying a new motor.
        For a non turbo FC, it shouldn't be too hard to find or too expensive to buy...

If you're ambitious, I vote go for it.

Shiftin gears, eatin cheeseburgers

October 01, 2014, 12:22 PM #4

Magner Offline

• Vehicle: Neons
          • Reputation Power: 70
          • Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.
          V8 swap it perfect candidate. Sell the left over rotary parts to fund the swap 

October 15, 2014, 08:21 PM #5

Rx.seven Offline

• Vehicle: 93 Fd3s Canadian Touring / 84 Fb Gsl / 81 Fb Gs
            • Rx.seven has no influence.
            Go for it man but do some research. As someone mentioned above, rx7club.com has tons of information for you. You could have it rebuilt or a new 13b for $2000 roughly. But certainly stay rotary tho, it's the heart of the Rx series.

Depending on how bad its seized maybe a little bit of kerosene or transmission fluid dumped into the engine might free it up after a few days.

Goodluck and don't hesitate to ask questions, we have a pretty good group of rotary guys around SK.

November 01, 2014, 06:48 PM #6

dashcroft Offline

• Vehicle: 1990 VW GTI 16v. turbo
              • dashcroft has no influence.
              as a former RX-7 owner (10th Anniversary Edition Turbo II), I'd say you'd likely need to replace the whole motor. Try the ATF trick first (google it) and that can sometimes free up the rotors if the engine is seized due to carbon lock. If you do decide to replace it, don't even consider a non-turbo. Rotary engines require a ton of maintenence, and they're expensive to work on, I basically taught myself to rebuild them because there were so few mechanics around. I'm honestly a fan of the old RX-350 build up, might even do an FB build. A V8 swap offers much more bang for your buck as long as you don't mind sacrificing the high redline and handling.

November 01, 2014, 06:51 PM #7

dashcroft Offline

• Vehicle: 1990 VW GTI 16v. turbo
                • dashcroft has no influence.
                as for new rotary options, Pineapple Racing builds amazing engines, and JHB performance Engineering have some insanely skilled mechanics... ask for Jim, although last I heard he was working on some rotary powered flying car for Boeing or Nasa or something, the dude is a genius.

November 05, 2014, 09:07 AM #8

rotaryboy23 Offline

• Vehicle: 1985 RX-7 Turbo, 1972 Triumph Spitfire
                  • rotaryboy23 has no influence.
                  Originally posted by dashcroft
                  as for new rotary options, Pineapple Racing builds amazing engines, and JHB performance Engineering have some insanely skilled mechanics... ask for Jim, although last I heard he was working on some rotary powered flying car for Boeing or Nasa or something, the dude is a genius.
                  I believe JHB is long out of business. 5years ago he cleared out his remaining housings. The project was the Moser Skycar I believe. No idea on what's happened to it.   If you get an N/A rotary they are very reliable, fun, but slow cars. And then the quest for more power will lead you down the swap road. The long, expensive, "I'll just change these things while I'm at it" swap road. 
                  Mine has been off the road going on three years now.   It took every beating I ever threw at it for 7 years. Clutch drops, track days, missed shifts and synchro grinds. Never skipped a beat. But if was just too slow. Now I've got an 8.8 rear, big ass turbo, a$6000 hole in my wallet,and my car ain't moving.... Hmmm.

Top Tier Imports

rotary question
                    « Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 09:07 AM »