Author Topic: SSD on head unit?  (Read 1155 times)

October 14, 2014, 12:06 PM #0

Dan

Recently i find myself collecting more and more music, i'm hoping i might be able to put an SSD in the glove compartment attached to my head unit. 

However i can't seem to find the technical specs on the USB.  I'm hoping to see if anyone has tried this before.  The head unit is a 5500BHS Pioneer, and the SSD i'm aiming for will be an AData, or a Sandisk

Thanks in advance!

Top Tier Imports

SSD on head unit?
    « on: October 14, 2014, 12:06 PM »

October 14, 2014, 12:23 PM #1

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
    • Reputation Power: 206
    • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
    Originally posted by Dan
    Recently i find myself collecting more and more music, i'm hoping i might be able to put an SSD in the glove compartment attached to my head unit. 

However i can't seem to find the technical specs on the USB.  I'm hoping to see if anyone has tried this before.  The head unit is a 5500BHS Pioneer, and the SSD i'm aiming for will be an AData, or a Sandisk

Thanks in advance!
    Why not pick up an old Ipod for 30 bucks and connect it using this same method? Assuming your headunit has an ipod cable.
    This is what I do with mine, because the interface is much easier to navigate that all the folders of a USB.
    Originally posted by Madbuzz41
    I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

October 14, 2014, 12:26 PM #2

Dan

Originally posted by jordisonjr
      Why not pick up an old Ipod for 30 bucks and connect it using this same method? Assuming your headunit has an ipod cable.
      This is what I do with mine, because the interface is much easier to navigate that all the folders of a USB.
      Hmm, i found that with a USB stick it was easier then using the Ipod, only because all the play lists and stuff were normally held on the Ipod and i would have to use the ipod to search for a new playlist and whatnot.  Was gonna give it a shot with the SSD, but not sure if it can actually be powered by the head unit.  Some hard drives tend to pull more power then USB sticks.   

Was just an option to think of.. Right now i bluetooth all my stuff to my headunit, but would like to move away from doing that as it drains the battery pretty quick on a drive to the cabin or something.

October 14, 2014, 12:34 PM #3

jordisonjr Offline

• jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
        On my Ipod, it has a specific cable and Ipod interface on the headunit (Doubedin) so I can control everythign from the screen, artists. playlists, albums, songs, anything you can do on the Ipod. So I don't even need to touch it once its plugged in.

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

October 14, 2014, 12:36 PM #4

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
          • Reputation Power: 370
          • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
          iPod in glove box makes more sense to me. Connecting to the unit via usb should give the unit control over the iPod too, so you should technically be able to scroll through playlists. With an SSD you wouldn't be creating actual playlists, you'd more or less be putting songs into folders and having to navigate to these folders, correct? Sounds like a lot of work and upkeep.

October 14, 2014, 12:39 PM #5

jordisonjr Offline

Originally posted by Shaun
            iPod in glove box makes more sense to me. Connecting to the unit via usb should give the unit control over the iPod too, so you should technically be able to scroll through playlists. With an SSD you wouldn't be creating actual playlists, you'd more or less be putting songs into folders and having to navigate to these folders, correct? Sounds like a lot of work and upkeep.
            Yea you'd have to make a folder for each artist, ablum, then song, on your SSD, if you wanted to keep it somewhat organized. And then everytime you added to it, would have to do the same. Although a cool idea, way too much work.

October 14, 2014, 12:41 PM #6

slipstreamconversion Offline

• Vehicle: 1997 Toyota Aristo / 1993 Toyota Camry
              • Reputation Power: 82
              • slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.
              I find with my head unit, going through folders with an iPod/iPhone is slower.  Seems like it has more data to go through before being fed the information.

A USB stick is quicker, and a SD card even quicker.  But I think it's because it builds a database the first time you plug it in.  Whenever you access it, it already has the data locations.  When you use an iPod/iPhone, it doesn't build a database.

Playlists, as previously stated by others, are better used with an iPhone/iPod.

At least that's my experience with my Pioneer AVH-P8400BH.  From what I understand, our models are similar.

October 14, 2014, 12:47 PM #7

jordisonjr Offline

Thats even more odd, I have a Pioneer AVH-P4000 (Old) and the ipod has no lag whatsoever, and is really quick.

October 14, 2014, 12:48 PM #8

slipstreamconversion Offline

• Vehicle: 1997 Toyota Aristo / 1993 Toyota Camry
                  • Reputation Power: 82
                  • slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.
                  Yeah mine gives you the option to cache a database, and afterwards the music on my SD card is accessed in any folder super quick.

iPod's take a bit of lag to get into the folders.

October 15, 2014, 04:21 PM #9

Dan

When i have my Ipod classic hooked up to it, the hard drive takes a bit to spin up if im switching through mutiple songs.  If im using the Iphone, im normally switching, but takes a little bit more time between tracks, but goes through them quicker int he end.  However the phone is only an 8GB, and the classic is a 120.   The 120 is pretty slow though... That's why the idea of an SSD popped into my head.  Since they are dirt cheap right now.

October 25, 2014, 08:42 AM #10

Bmoney Offline

• Reputation Power: 7
                      • Bmoney has no influence.
                      worst case scenario - format for Fat32, adhere to the folder structure your device requires, and try it.

October 25, 2014, 11:21 AM #11

BlackRC3 Offline

• Vehicle: 09 Toyota Tacoma TRD Double Cab
                        • Reputation Power: 4
                        • BlackRC3 has no influence.
                        just check the amperage requirements of the ssd vs the output of the usb.  should be quite east to find

edit:  looks like the unit provides just 1 amp of output
                        Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:25 AM by BlackRC3

Top Tier Imports

SSD on head unit?
                          « Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 11:21 AM »