Author Topic: TopTier Subaru Discussion Thread  (Read 46090 times)

December 04, 2014, 12:26 PM #25

Alex2NF Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Subaru BRZ - 2004 Toyota 4Runner
  • Reputation Power: 234
  • Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!
13 Boosted Subaru BRZ
04 Toyota 4Runner V6 Sport
∞ Toyota Echo Race Car
98 Acura Integra Race Car 2
IG: @alexdbrz / Twitter: @ToyotaWinnipeg / Snap: OilMyPencil

Top Tier Imports

TopTier Subaru Discussion Thread
    « Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 12:26 PM »

December 04, 2014, 01:01 PM #26

Stoyka Offline

• Vehicle: 97' STI-R coupe/81 VW Pickup
    • Reputation Power: 16
    • Stoyka has no influence.
    Originally posted by Shaun

Hnnngggg thats siiiiiiick! ^^^

But this is sicker cause orange!

"I used to play COD on Xbox till I found out how many 12 year olds were fu**king my mom...and there were alot"

December 04, 2014, 01:06 PM #27

Stefan Offline

• Vehicle: 2004 WRX wagon
      • Reputation Power: 48
      • Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...
      http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/winnipeg/2004-subaru-impreza-wrx-w-moonroof/1022687400?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Can someone justify this. I went to look at this wagon. They told me they invested $3000 in getting it safetied and doing an inspection. What I found was
       - the hand brake went up more than 10 clicks
       - the rear struts were shot as usual with WRX's
       - both quarter panels had visible rust and bubbling
       - the car didn't start even after cranking it over for 5 minutes until the battery died
       - the tires equipped are some worn all seasons
       - there was a nest of wires hanging by the clutch pedal
       - timing belt was not serviced

When I asked for the price my heart sank. The salesman told me they want $12000 before tax/fees. Compared to the rest of the market it seems like they are asking a lot. What I want to know is what makes this car worth so much?
      build it - race it -  break it - do it all over

December 04, 2014, 01:20 PM #28

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
        • Reputation Power: 370
        • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
        Originally posted by Stefan
        When I asked for the price my heart sank. The salesman told me they want $12000 before tax/fees. Compared to the rest of the market it seems like they are asking a lot. What I want to know is what makes this car worth so much?
        I guess the kms are fairly low and that's what they are basing their price off of. It's not worth 12k at all but I bet some poor sap will pay close to that.

December 04, 2014, 01:22 PM #29

Bajaha Offline

• Vehicle: 2003 Subaru Baja
          • Reputation Power: 6
          • Bajaha has no influence.
          What I want to know is what makes this car worth so much?

Hopeful wishing and the usual dealer scummyness? Not starting and no timing service are pretty big red flags.

As for the diesel oil question on page 1, if you're serious, rotella t6 is awesome for turbo subies

December 04, 2014, 01:25 PM #30

Stefan Offline

• Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...
            I guess the kms are fairly low and that's what they are basing their price off of. It's not worth 12k at all but I bet some poor sap will pay close to that.
            Yeah, I wasn't having any of it. My wagon has about the same mileage. Would have taken it for max $8000.

December 04, 2014, 04:09 PM #31

juice91si Offline

• Vehicle: MB
              • Reputation Power: 1
              • juice91si has no influence.
              I did this over summer...

ML63

December 04, 2014, 05:48 PM #32

A42N81 Offline

• Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500, 2009 Forester 2.5X
                • Reputation Power: 4
                • A42N81 has no influence.
                Yeah, I wasn't having any of it. My wagon has about the same mileage. Would have taken it for max $8000.

I inquired with them about this car to, asked them about trading my wagon for this, after getting a very low offer on the trade I backed away figured it wouldn't be worth it. Then the salesman told me the car had actually been sold but wasn't sure if the car was going to return or not and seeing that its still for sale I think its safe to say it was returned and probably for good reason!
                2015 Ram 1500 "Black Express"
                2009 Forester 2.5X Touring
                2007 Impreza 2.5i Wagon - Sold
                2002 Legacy GT Limited - Sold

December 05, 2014, 07:40 AM #33

Stefan Offline

Originally posted by A42N81
                  I inquired with them about this car to, asked them about trading my wagon for this, after getting a very low offer on the trade I backed away figured it wouldn't be worth it. Then the salesman told me the car had actually been sold but wasn't sure if the car was going to return or not and seeing that its still for sale I think its safe to say it was returned and probably for good reason!
                  He gave me the run around as well telling me the car is sold but someone can't get a loan blah blah blah. Typical salesman strategy's. Kind of irritating at the least.

December 05, 2014, 11:55 AM #34

Shaun Offline

• Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!

December 05, 2014, 02:45 PM #35

Dan

@Shaun

Thats a really sweet lookin soobie!  I'm curious what's done to it.

December 05, 2014, 03:00 PM #36

Shaun Offline

Looks stock to me ???

December 05, 2014, 03:12 PM #37

Nirusan Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 BMW M2, 2015 Audi S3
                        • Reputation Power: 212
                        • Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!
                        Looks stock to me ???

si ng Le Faken stock ???
                        [Sep 03 10:56:42] Faken:I wanna be on autters whorefax... Gonna write her off
                        [Sep 03 11:06:48] Faken:If I stuck my pee pee into 100 girls from africa.. I think it will make a difference if u want to sleep with me.
                        [Oct 15 19:20:41] Adomp:id eat my own ass out than eat famous daves

December 06, 2014, 10:39 AM #38

atticus.rascal Offline

• Reputation Power: 2
                          • atticus.rascal has no influence.
                          One of my favorite builds. The diesel 22B replica. Check out the build log on rs25.com if you have a few hours to kill. http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t185042-subaru-diesel-ee20-swap-stid.html

December 06, 2014, 12:16 PM #39

Bajaha Offline

• Vehicle: 2003 Subaru Baja
                            • Reputation Power: 6
                            • Bajaha has no influence.
                            Damn that's a sweet build, I have to study for exams, why am I reading about awesome diesel subies???

December 08, 2014, 01:44 PM #40

TheCanadian007 Offline

• Vehicle: 1984 Dodge Omni
                              • Reputation Power: 5
                              • TheCanadian007 has no influence.
                              I was looking to get into the Subaru crowd and found a couple WRX examples locally...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/winnipeg/2002-subaru-wrx-bugeye/1035346904?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/winnipeg/2002-subaru-wrx-bugeye/1035346904?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I have minimal experience with Subarus and wanted to know what they're really like.

I've heard a lot of stories about their reliability; head gasket issues on the early DOHC and later 2.5 SOHC models, in addition to claims that the early '00s 5 speed transaxles are made of glass. There's also the jokes about rod knocks on the Scoobies.

What truth are there to these claims? What are the common failure points on the EJ205 turbo engine in the WRX? Is working on the boxer engine in car as bad as it looks?

Thanks

December 08, 2014, 01:55 PM #41

Shaun Offline

December 08, 2014, 02:01 PM #42

Riley Offline

• Vehicle: '15 Fiesta ST
                                • Reputation Power: 128
                                • Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!
                                Originally posted by BoostAddict
                                That's my background at work. If I ever bought another Subaru, it would be a GF8.
                                I miss my gf8. Except for the slushbox
                                #keepingitstock

December 08, 2014, 02:27 PM #43

Ænimal Offline

• Vehicle: Miater, so many bikes
                                  • Reputation Power: 76
                                  • Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.
                                  Originally posted by TheCanadian007
                                  I was looking to get into the Subaru crowd and found a couple WRX examples locally...

Hey, welcome (potentially) to the fold! The first thing you gotta know about subarus is rust. The cars are not horrible for it, but they're also winter driven, and a lot of them are winter hooned. Neither of this is good for the engine or the body, and this can tend to bite you with a high KM example. That car would be a high km example. Expect to spend between 8k-14k on a 04+ WRX. If you're the sort of person who goes nuts modding, buy something from the states with work done to it already, swap out parts for ones you want. They get to be a little expensive to build up, especially if you're out for performance. Generally speaking the bang for buck vs an equivalent age lancer evo is awful, and you're better off with the evo if serious performance is wanted (although there are plenty of downsides to the evo's as well). If you're in for a wagon, something like this would be nice:
                                  http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/winnipeg/2002-subaru-impreza-wrx/1037168834?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I have minimal experience with Subarus and wanted to know what they're really like.
                                  I've heard a lot of stories about their reliability; head gasket issues on the early DOHC and later 2.5 SOHC models, in addition to claims that the early '00s 5 speed transaxles are made of glass. There's also the jokes about rod knocks on the Scoobies.
                                  What truth are there to these claims? What are the common failure points on the EJ205 turbo engine in the WRX? Is working on the boxer engine in car as bad as it looks?

The jokes you hear are actually primarily perpetuated locally by a few ignorant idiots who have basically zero experience with them (and likely want one/couldn't afford them). The actual truth of it is that they're pretty well built engines minus a few little details. The 205's are very different from the 257's and the 207's in the STI's and the 255 in the later (06+ WRX). The 205 generally has no real issues other than being a bit short on power and displacement. They're actually pretty rugged little units and can push right around 295-300hp with some minor work fairly reliably. In terms of stock tune cars, guys have hit up and above 250k miles on the stock or lightly tuned motors without any real issues. The EJ255's/EJ257's have some problems because of tune issues (it's actually very tough to get a 2.5L turbo 4 banger past emissions without direct injection and a fairly lean factory tune) which are made worse by OTS (canned) tunes that people get. The main problem with subarus are actually the owners, because most will get a canned tune that increases power by ~25% or more from factory then drive the cars in the winter and beat on them. Think of it like owning a performance car from any other make that pushes 150+hp/litre. Would you really drive that in the middle of winter and not let the car warm up and roast the bearings after 3 minutes of startup? Would you really buy an OTS tune and start swapping parts as you see fit and then blame the motor manufacturer for it blowing up? Would you randomly run diesel oil in it and expect that it solves all of these problems? Most of the rod knock issues come from people flashing on a canned tune that was designed by a couple folks out in texas, booting the car up in winter, and bagging on it without actually understanding that the tune can/will cause knock very easily (not to mention a mass of carbon build-up from an overly rich tune that will also cause knock eventually). All the "knock knock" jokes aside, the motors are actually well made, have a forged crank/rods from factory and come with some of the nicest cast pistons I have seen in a motor of that era (for the 2.5). They'll run well and for high mileage as long as they aren't too abused.

For the trans, it's early 03 and earlier that come with the weaker trans. The STI 6 speed is the trans to have if you want to have any semblence of track performance (3 limited slip diffs on the 6MT vs 1 vicsous and 2 opens on the later WRX's) and is substantially stronger. For the motor, they're actually one of the easiest motors I've dealt with because there's tons of room up front and everything is up top for the most part. The chassis can be tough to work on because a lot of the nuts are captive nuts and that's a little terrifying on a higher KM car. The supension is also an old design on the GC/GD chassis cars so you trade of tons of parts compatibility and support for general crappy-ness to work on.

The only cars that are genuinely a pain in the ass to work on are the JDM versions of the car because of parts support. Subaru canada no longer can order in any JDM parts, and there is little to no support for a LOT of the models out there in terms of motors, wiring diagrams, etc... It's fine if you have no problems, but troubleshooting/diagnosis becomes a nightmare if that ever comes up.
                                  [Aug 01 15:48:26] dolan:Guys i really dont care, im still young enough to learn from all my mistakes.

December 08, 2014, 03:34 PM #44

barrett Offline

• Vehicle: 1999 Subaru Forester S/TB
                                    • Reputation Power: 8
                                    • barrett has no influence.
                                    Originally posted by Ænimal
                                    The only cars that are genuinely a pain in the ass to work on are the JDM versions of the car because of parts support. Subaru canada no longer can order in any JDM parts, and there is little to no support for a LOT of the models out there in terms of motors, wiring diagrams, etc... It's fine if you have no problems, but troubleshooting/diagnosis becomes a nightmare if that ever comes up.

That's great news.. lol.

I'm also new to the Subaru scene so your post was incredibly detailed. thanks!
                                    93 Del Sol Si - B18C1, YS1 cable GSR trans, Work Stark II's, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Momo Millenium steering wheel
                                    1999 Subaru Forester S/TB - SRT4 ACR BBS rims, Pioneer P3200BT, stock everything else

December 08, 2014, 03:40 PM #45

TheCanadian007 Offline

Thanks for the info! I was certainly avoiding the JDM incarnations. The twin turbo sounds very cool but I'd be terrified of trying to repair it should anything go wrong. My initial post was missing the second ad, this was the other WRX I was looking at: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/brandon/2003-subaru-wrx-sedan/1035017720?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'm still a student so my budget is limited. I would love a newer STI but that is far more than I can afford. I'd be looking for a fun daily driver, would be kept stock, no to minimal modifications (drop-in air filter, maybe exhaust), so I'd only be concerned with reliability in stock form. I have a second vehicle to modify and play around with, lol.

December 08, 2014, 03:43 PM #46

barrett Offline

• Vehicle: 1999 Subaru Forester S/TB
                                        • Reputation Power: 8
                                        • barrett has no influence.
                                        Thanks for the info! I was certainly avoiding the JDM incarnations. The twin turbo sounds very cool but I'd be terrified of trying to repair it should anything go wrong. My initial post was missing the second ad, this was the other WRX I was looking at: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/brandon/2003-subaru-wrx-sedan/1035017720?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'm still a student so my budget is limited. I would love a newer STI but that is far more than I can afford. I'd be looking for a fun daily driver, would be kept stock, no to minimal modifications (drop-in air filter, maybe exhaust), so I'd only be concerned with reliability in stock form. I have a second vehicle to modify and play around with, lol.

If that's honestly all you'd be doing (same as myself) then I can't seeing JDM being that bad for you. There are a couple of us on here that have JDM Forester's with EJ205's and so far we've been doing alright with maintenance items and such. I got my Forester imported for $4700 with 93xxx km. Way cheaper then a USDM/LHD version of the same vehicle
                                        93 Del Sol Si - B18C1, YS1 cable GSR trans, Work Stark II's, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Momo Millenium steering wheel
                                        1999 Subaru Forester S/TB - SRT4 ACR BBS rims, Pioneer P3200BT, stock everything else

December 08, 2014, 04:25 PM #47

TheCanadian007 Offline

Two of my close friends have JDM vehicles, one a Hilux Surf and the other a Legacy GT-B. Both are certainly cool vehicles but the parts availability is a deal breaker for me. That and shifting with my left hand would take some getting used to. Some very attractive deals however!

December 08, 2014, 05:12 PM #48

Zach1 Offline

• Vehicle: 06 RAV4, 2000 Civic Hatch
                                            • Reputation Power: 68
                                            • Zach1 is a rising star!Zach1 is a rising star!Zach1 is a rising star!Zach1 is a rising star!Zach1 is a rising star!Zach1 is a rising star!

hnnng!
                                            Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:20 PM by Zach1

December 09, 2014, 08:44 AM #49

Shaun Offline

Saw this commercial the other day, lol

Top Tier Imports

TopTier Subaru Discussion Thread
                                                « Reply #49 on: December 09, 2014, 08:44 AM »