Author Topic: 2015 Autocross Thread  (Read 51995 times)

January 01, 2015, 11:07 AM #0

Magner Offline

• Vehicle: Neons
  • Reputation Power: 70
  • Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.
Time fore a new general/off topic/smack talk/etc... Autocross thread for the 2015 Season.  :)

Link to 2015 Schedule: http://toptierimports.com/index.php?topic=10132.0

Common questions:

What is Autocross?

How do I Register for events?
For 2015 we will be using MotorsportReg: http://www.motorsportreg.com/
This site is used by 700 motorsports clubs including all national SCCA events
For additional registration details please follow this link: http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9907-2015-autoslalom-registration-guide/

Where are events held?
Events are usually held at St. Andrews Airport unless otherwise noted on the schedule
If you are coming from Winnipeg it's Highway 8 northbound (aka McPhillips St).
Turn right on McPhilips Rd
25 later right on Aviation Blvd.
5 Feet later turn left on George Porayko Way (gravel access road)
Drive past the control tower on the gravel road to access the site. (do NOT drive on the active St Andrews Runway)

"George Porayko Way" on Google maps.

Note: no one is allowed on site after hours of operation, the site is monitored and any unauthorized trespassers with not be tolerated.

What time should I arrive on site?
For competitors it is recommended arrive between 10 and 10:45 am, you will need time to for course walks and getting you car prepared. If it's your first time come around 10am since you will need to take the novice course walk (MANDATORY FOR ALL FIRST TIMERS). New for 2014 entry cap at 65 driver per event, first come first serve. IF YOU SHOW UP AT OR AFTER 11AM YOU ARE TOO LATE TO RACE

I don't have a race car or anything modified can I race my stock car?
Yes! Just about every car is welcome from a Corolla to a Corvette to a RHD R33 GTR provided it meets the requirements of the tech inspection. Self tech inspection sheets found here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8B9UShCfDHAdkdlaEgwUUJENDg/edit
This is a self tech inspection, make sure you check each item on the car carefully BEFORE THE EVENT. please print and check everything before the event, then hand it in at the registration trailer when you arrive.
First timers, inflate your tires to the maximum recommended pressure (printed on all sidewalls). This will ensure you do not roll over the tires. 

What car class am I in?

If you are new of unsure of your car class please class yourself as NYC (Not Yet Classed). If you have any questions or need assistance please ask in this thread: http://toptierimports.com/index.php?topic=2803.0 or http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9304-2014-car-classing-guide-help-thread/

I'm not competing, but is it free to come watch?
It's free to spectate! But you must come to the registration trailer and sign the waiver. THE WAIVER MUST BE SIGNED BY EVERYONE ON SITE.

What should I do for lunch?
We have a hot dog cart on site, or pack a lunch. (You don't have enough time to drive to Lockport or Winnipeg to get lunch and come back in time)

What should I bring?
-Water! No water is available on site. A cooler with cold water is very handy on hot days!
-Lunch/lunch money and snacks
-Sunscreen
-Good comfortable running/walking shoes
-Dress according to the weather, yes we race in the rain but make sure you are prepared if it rains, coat, pants, hats etc...
-Hand sanitizer or something to clean your hands is a great idea.
-Umbrella for shade might also be a good idea.
-Bag or a bin to keep all of stuff together

Can I bring my helmet?
Only bring a helmet if it is "Snell" rated. If you are unsure check the outside base of the helmet were it meets your neck, it will have a Snell sticker on it. If it doesn't say Snell on it, don't bring it. We have Snell approved loaner helmets in all sizes for you to borrow. Only having the "DOT" safety rating is NOT enough, it MUST be Snell rated

Do I need to "work"?
If you are racing you must also complete a work assignment. Participants are split into and "A" and "B" groups. "A" works when "B" races and vise versa. Work consists of picking up knocked over cones and placing them back in their painted boxes, it's also great fun to watch the cars from these vantage points. Sign up for your work detail when you arrive at the registration station. Autocross supplies its own workers, this is how we keep racing cheap!

Can I bring my young kids? (under 14 years old)
No, it's highly recommend against bringing children to events. There is no running water or full bathrooms on site and there any safe areas to leave them. If you plan to race do not bring your children. You will need to find someone to watch them since you must complete your work assignment way from them (no children allowed at any marshall stations. Children under 14 are not permitted to ride along with parents. Any person under the age of 18 must have a minor consent form filled out at the timing trailer.

I'm under 18, can I race?
Yes but only if you have the following:
A valid class 5 license (no learners)
A parent or legal guarding present with you
A signed minor consent form from a parent or legal guardian

I'm under 18, can I spectate?
Yes but you must have a minor consent form filled out by a parent or legal guardian

I'm under 18, can I be a passenger in someones car?
Yes but only if you have met the following:
-A signed minor consent form from a parent or legal guardian
-14 years of age or older
- Be in a vehicle being driven by their parent or guardian

Why do keep seeing so many different names for this sport?
Autocross is the general term used to call the sport.
It can be abbreviated to "auto-x" (PS. please don't call it Auto "EX"  ;))
Legally in Canada the sport is called "Autoslalom" by ASN Canada (our racing governing body).
In the United States the largest governing body (SCCA) calls it "Solo". Up until a few years ago the SCCA called it "Solo II".

Why should I come autocross?
-The people! Friendly,  like-minded individuals that love cars and pushing them to the limit!
-Push your car in a safe and legal environment!
-Cheapest form of motor-racing!
-The challenge of trying to get that perfect run!

Question? Ask!
Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:36 PM by Magner

Top Tier Imports

2015 Autocross Thread
    « on: January 01, 2015, 11:07 AM »

January 01, 2015, 11:09 AM #1

Magner Offline

• Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.
    3 month down 4 to go until the new season begins.   :)

Here's some useful autocross links:

SCCA Solo Home Page
    http://www.scca.com/solo/

This is the offical SCCA webpage, you can find schedules for all the nation events and rules here. The newest rulebook is under "cars and rules" shortcut here for 2015 rulebook: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2015-1-8_SCCA_Solo_Rules_book_online1.pdf

Solomatters:
    http://www.solomatters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/solomatters

This is an unofficial SCCA blog, news, tech tips for everything autocross in the US. If you are hungry for more autocross info this site is fantastic. My personal favorite is the "Shop Manual Series" which features the cars of a specific class and basic modification "recipes" and discussed to build a competitive car.

The 2015 Autocross Season starts up again in March in the Southern States, expect more content and updates from Solomatters later this winter.

SCCA Common Auto-X Questions and Answers:
    http://sccastartingline.com/resources.php

Basic questions and answers, however not all of these are pertinent to the WSCC since we don't operate under the SCCA but the Canadian version, ASN Canada.

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine
    http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/

This magazine is all about weekend racing on a budget for the average guy. They have a wide variety of cars featured and offer some great tech tips for just about everything, many of which are specifically for autocross racing. My personal favorites are  the tire reviews and testing, however they are now out of date: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/?make=&topic=12&keyword=&filter=Filter

Tirerack tire reviews
    www.tirerack.com

The Tirerack.com is the main sponsor for the SCCA Solo program and cater to our needs. They sell just about every competitive tire and provide comprehensive comparisons to make an informed decision when purchasing any tire. 
    Here's a few linkz to latest tire test for the Extreme Performance category:
    Video: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+ZII+Star+Spec
    Text:  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=197
    Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:16 PM by Magner

January 01, 2015, 12:32 PM #2

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
      • Reputation Power: 183
      • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
      Bump for getting the club bigger this year.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

January 01, 2015, 02:14 PM #3

ACiFiC Offline

• Vehicle: x2 Eunos
        • Reputation Power: 85
        • ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.
        VROOM!
        Originally posted by Winter Beater
        If a car is shows that a solid effort was made, and the car is reasonably well executed I can respect that. Even if it's not my cup of tea..

January 01, 2015, 04:18 PM #4

Eppic Offline

• Vehicle: Miata's (lots of them)
          • Reputation Power: 29
          • Eppic barely matters.Eppic barely matters.
          i guess that means i'm coming and bringing steinbach with me.

Originally posted by themikewoo
          Bump for getting the club bigger this year.

My dads part of the steinbach fly in air club or whatever they call themselves.  he would love to auto x closer to home and steinbach brings the crowd (the old guys know this)
          If he can push for an event to happen in steinbach this summer is that something that you guys would want to do?  Not saying it's gonna happen.  he's inquired previous years but there's a lot of old farts round here with vettes and vipers and they might be interested in actually taking them out of their hangers and driving them if they could just go straight out.  :)  who knows.  feedback?

January 01, 2015, 04:20 PM #5

themikewoo Offline

• themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
            I down for beating a Viper lol. Bump so hopefully whoever is in charge can look into this. I also want more events at the Red River Exhibition grounds.

January 01, 2015, 04:22 PM #6

Eppic Offline

i want to sell more cars so i can buy a dozer on kijiji and start building a dirt track in my 10 acres i bought!!! if you can drive on dirt... you can deffinately drive on pavement.

January 01, 2015, 04:58 PM #7

Matthew Offline

• Vehicle: '92 EH3, '05 Ranger, '00 Silverado, '00 EX250
                • Reputation Power: 79
                • Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.
                looking forward to 2015, nice FAQ portion @Magner !
                EH3 in the making.

[May 26 14:52:31] ACiFiC:matt u r so cute i wish u were under my covers :3 :3 :3 :3 xoxo

Been someones avatar count: 7

January 01, 2015, 07:22 PM #8

boostfreak Offline

• Vehicle: Meatball
                  • Reputation Power: 38
                  • boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.
                  Nope I'm out!

#hrdprkr
                  BNRJAMZ
                  '13 Fiat 500 Turbo
                  Originally posted by: Igor
                  i don't know why you would want to say its an sti, especially around people that know what they are looking at. like buddy, its a wrx, who cares. personally i find it insulting that he calls it an sti

January 01, 2015, 07:35 PM #9

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                    • Reputation Power: 353
                    • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                    Originally posted by themikewoo
                    I also want more events at the Red River Exhibition grounds.
                    Me too!!!!!!!!

January 01, 2015, 09:10 PM #10

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
                      • Reputation Power: 160
                      • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                      Hnngh excited.

I'm considering attending the school as well...
                      (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

January 01, 2015, 11:17 PM #11

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
                        • Reputation Power: 42
                        • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
                        Originally posted by Vince
                        Hnngh excited.

I'm considering attending the school as well...
                        Its the best bang for runs per dollar. Also the instruction value is huge. 
                        If I didn't instruct it, I'd take it :)
                        For novices, it will shave seconds off and show you a new way of thinking.
                        Vets, it will show hidden mistakes and reinforce crutial points.
                        D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
                        04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
                        Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
                        http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

January 01, 2015, 11:35 PM #12

Nirusan Online

• Vehicle: 2013 Ford Focus ST, 2015 Audi S3
                          • Reputation Power: 197
                          • Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!
                          Pretty excited about the upcoming season. I'm definitely going to do my best to attend as many events (and schools) as possible this year.
                          [Sep 03 10:56:42] Faken:I wanna be on autters whorefax... Gonna write her off
                          [Sep 03 11:06:48] Faken:If I stuck my pee pee into 100 girls from africa.. I think it will make a difference if u want to sleep with me.
                          [Oct 15 19:20:41] Adomp:id eat my own ass out than eat famous daves

January 02, 2015, 08:19 AM #13

Riley Offline

• Vehicle: '15 Fiesta ST, '00 MX5 S/C
                            • Reputation Power: 120
                            • Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!
                            I'm also excited about the upcoming season and how I'm going to miss most of the events.
                            #keepingitstock

January 02, 2015, 04:58 PM #14

Magner Offline

Originally posted by Eppic
                              i guess that means i'm coming and bringing steinbach with me.

My dads part of the steinbach fly in air club or whatever they call themselves.  he would love to auto x closer to home and steinbach brings the crowd (the old guys know this)
                              If he can push for an event to happen in steinbach this summer is that something that you guys would want to do?  Not saying it's gonna happen.  he's inquired previous years but there's a lot of old farts round here with vettes and vipers and they might be interested in actually taking them out of their hangers and driving them if they could just go straight out.  :)  who knows.  feedback?
                              It all boils down to suitable sites. What potential venues are available in Steinbach? Do any of these old guys own a huge concrete square they are willing to rent? The mall was used before the new owners bought it, very unlikely they will let us use it.

January 02, 2015, 06:14 PM #15

Eppic Offline

Originally posted by Magner
                                It all boils down to suitable sites. What potential venues are available in Steinbach? Do any of these old guys own a huge concrete square they are willing to rent? The mall was used before the new owners bought it, very unlikely they will let us use it.

ya those new owners say no no no all the time for liability reasons i'm told.  Pops once mentioned he might be able to get permission to run an auto x event at the air port in steinbach.  his biggest hurdle was getting the old guys to agree to closing the air strip for a day.  (not sure what the rules and regulations are there. i have yet to inquire)

January 02, 2015, 08:56 PM #16

TonyPajamaz Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Audi A4, 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata
                                  • Reputation Power: 78
                                  • TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.
                                  mmm Autocross can never come soon enough!

Playseat and xbox 360 will have to do for now.
                                  [Jan 01 21:16:06] Faken:most steady hand/10

[Sep 23 14:27:56] Faken:i was focusing on dan's bum

January 02, 2015, 10:32 PM #17

Stefan Offline

• Vehicle: 2004 WRX wagon
                                    • Reputation Power: 48
                                    • Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...Stefan might someday be someone...
                                    Stocked about this year in autocross!
                                    build it - race it -  break it - do it all over

January 02, 2015, 11:09 PM #18

Nouri Offline

• Vehicle: :'(
                                      • Reputation Power: 36
                                      • Nouri is working their way up.Nouri is working their way up.Nouri is working their way up.
                                      Glad to see many of you excited. I hope everyone tries to make it to as many events as possible. Autocross is fun when you show up for an event or two, BUT it's 10x better and more rewarding when you actually participate in a full season or compete for a trophy. The more participants we have, the more competitive and fun it'll be. Plan ahead and book your autocross days off once the 2015 schedule is released. Should be a good season of autocross ahead.
                                      [Jan 02 18:19:29] Matthew:girls swap out their uggs and run conti's
                                      [Jan 02 18:18:54] Matthew:like u of m when u walk thru the halls mo
                                      [Jan 02 18:18:37] Nouri:I think it would have to be really pouring with puddles everywhere to really make a difference

January 03, 2015, 01:36 AM #19

Zach1 Offline

• Vehicle: 06 RAV4, ???
                                        • Reputation Power: 55
                                        • Zach1 is on the verge of being accepted.Zach1 is on the verge of being accepted.Zach1 is on the verge of being accepted.Zach1 is on the verge of being accepted.Zach1 is on the verge of being accepted.
                                        Can't wait to come to autocross this year, hoping to compete at some point this season

January 03, 2015, 03:36 PM #20

Canadian CD9A Offline

• Vehicle: AP1 - CD9A - 5F07F
                                          • Reputation Power: 44
                                          • Canadian CD9A might someday be someone...Canadian CD9A might someday be someone...Canadian CD9A might someday be someone...Canadian CD9A might someday be someone...
                                          Can't wait to blow up my car at every event this year.

#MWR
                                          Originally posted by: Forced Performance
                                          Your significant other can only be mad for a while but your car can be slow forever.
                                          Quote (selected)
                                          The perfect race car is the fastest thing on the track and then explodes after crossing the finish line.
                                          AWD Turbo Whiners Club

January 03, 2015, 04:28 PM #21

themikewoo Offline

Location: 2537 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2H5
                                            Originally posted by Canadian CD9A
                                            Can't wait to blow up my car at every event this year.

#MWR
                                            Spending 50% of my annual budget.

Keeps the CRA off my back ;)
                                            Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 04:30 PM by themikewoo

January 08, 2015, 07:05 PM #22

Magner Offline

Location: A Parking Lot Near You
                                                Update

-2015 SCCA Solo rulebook was posted earlier today, adding link in OP and here:http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2015-1-8_SCCA_Solo_Rules_book_online1.pdf

-Tirerack also updated their internal review of some of the extreme performance tires. ZII* now head to head against the Rivals RS3v2 and AD08R  Keep in mind this test was done last fall and the updated Toyo R1R, BFG Rivals S and Bridgestone RE71R have yet to be released, apparently a few new additions coming as well. Expect another update in the spring summer once they get tested.
                                                Text: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=197
                                                Video: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+ZII+Star+Spec

-Champiro also released a 200TW extreme performance tire recently, looks like they copied the RE11 thread design. No data yet no how they compare. I was only able to find one website listing them for sale at $117 for the 15" If anyone can find additional pricing please update: http://www.gtradial.com/global/Tire-Details/CHAMPIRO_SX2

More 2015 updates to follow[/list]
                                                Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:26 PM by Magner

January 08, 2015, 09:54 PM #23

Nouri Offline

• Vehicle: :'(
                                                  • Reputation Power: 36
                                                  • Nouri is working their way up.Nouri is working their way up.Nouri is working their way up.
                                                  Hmmmmm buy ZII* or wait...

I highly doubt the revised Rival S will drastically change from the current Rival. It will probably have slightly better overall grip on the limit while still having the same characteristics; forgiving but a bit wishy washy with lack of feel and hello mr. hydroplane jesus in the rain.

Not sure what to expect from the new Bridgestone though.
                                                  [Jan 02 18:19:29] Matthew:girls swap out their uggs and run conti's
                                                  [Jan 02 18:18:54] Matthew:like u of m when u walk thru the halls mo
                                                  [Jan 02 18:18:37] Nouri:I think it would have to be really pouring with puddles everywhere to really make a difference

January 08, 2015, 10:24 PM #24

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
                                                    • Reputation Power: 2
                                                    • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
                                                    Can I drive really slow down the gravel road? :O I don't want to ruin the paint on her. Otherwise I'm in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Tier Imports

2015 Autocross Thread
                                                      « Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 10:24 PM »