Author Topic: 3-d Printing thread  (Read 4279 times)

January 19, 2015, 04:58 PM #25

Vinny26 Offline

• Reputation Power: 36
  • Vinny26 is working their way up.Vinny26 is working their way up.Vinny26 is working their way up.

Originally posted by Igor
check this out.
eyes are hurting
|| Lancer GTS for the moment || Evo X for the future ||
[Feb 07 23:16:05] miguel97:cherkas like: started from the bottom now my face is a on racecar

Top Tier Imports

3-d Printing thread
    « Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 04:58 PM »

February 23, 2015, 10:16 PM #26

fruitloops Offline

• Reputation Power: 23
    • fruitloops barely matters.fruitloops barely matters.
    Anyone here capable of whipping up a small peice for a ice auger? Just a small, 1 1/2" long peice of plastic.
    Bought, not Built.

February 24, 2015, 12:00 AM #27

kdavidmazur Offline

• Vehicle: 2009 Honda Civic DXG 1993 Toyota MR2 2GR
      • kdavidmazur barely matters.kdavidmazur barely matters.
      Originally posted by fruitloops
      Anyone here capable of whipping up a small peice for a ice auger? Just a small, 1 1/2" long peice of plastic.

Do you have any rough sketches of it? I could make a Solidworks model and see if it can be done at school for you.

February 24, 2015, 09:25 AM #28

fruitloops Offline

• fruitloops barely matters.fruitloops barely matters.
        Originally posted by kdavidmazur
        Do you have any rough sketches of it? I could make a Solidworks model and see if it can be done at school for you.
        I'll make a sketch tonight with some measurements. It's a really simple peice.
        Bought, not Built.

February 24, 2015, 12:21 PM #29

kdavidmazur Offline

Originally posted by fruitloops
          I'll make a sketch tonight with some measurements. It's a really simple peice.
          Awesome, sounds good!!

March 17, 2015, 12:24 PM #30

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
            • Reputation Power: 247
            • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
            Looks like there is new technology coming out for quicker 3D printing.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31918215
            2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
            2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

April 03, 2015, 11:42 AM #31

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
              • Reputation Power: 370
              • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!

April 03, 2015, 02:49 PM #32

Time Lord Offline

• Vehicle: Audi
              • Reputation Power: 19
              • Time Lord has no influence.

April 06, 2015, 09:27 AM #33

TheCanadian007 Offline

• Vehicle: 1984 Dodge Omni
                • Reputation Power: 5
                • TheCanadian007 has no influence.

April 06, 2015, 10:30 AM #34

Igor Offline

• Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                Originally posted by TheCanadian007
                This kickstarter looks very promising: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tiko3d/tiko-the-unibody-3d-printer/description

That looks really cool.

April 06, 2015, 08:31 PM #35

kdavidmazur Offline

This kickstarter looks very promising: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tiko3d/tiko-the-unibody-3d-printer/description

Definitely gonna pickup one of these for that cheap.

December 23, 2016, 12:24 PM #36

Igor Offline

To bump this thread. Our office bought into the kickstarter for this and it arrived yesterday! It's actually pretty sleek. Here is my quick review after using it for about a day.

First Print:
                    My first test print was a snowflake and it looked pretty rough. The model was over-extruded and the edges were blobby but the print finished. I used the default settings that came with the Tiko.

Second and Third Prints:
                    I tried to do a print of the Sydney Opera House. Both times the printer failed to extrude the PLA material after about 30 seconds of setting down the raft. Both times required that I take the Tiko apart and remove the jammed filament. It looks like a combination of heat and force caused it to bunch up and it couldn't pass through the tube.

After looking at some reviews it seems that this was a known issue and was fixed with an update. So I tried to get the Tiko to update but it just would not connect to the network and would constantly crash. The last crash sent it into SOS mode and wouldn't even let me connect a device to it. I spent almost 7 hours trying to troubleshoot with tech support. When it goes into SOS mode it should give an error code but mine was not. After tech support being useless, I started tinkering around with the recovery software myself. Managed to get everything cleared up and the Tiko updated.

Fourth Print
                    After the update, the Tiko performed flawlessly. Quality increased and there was no longer an issue with over-extrusion. I finally printed the Opera house and it turned out great (will get pics up soon).

My biggest grip with the printer is that everything has to be done via WIFI. This makes it annoying if you are using a laptop that is connected to WIFI and having to disconnect just to connect to the Tiko.

I've noticed some areas where the Tiko under-extrudes now. I'm told there is an update being released today that should address some of these issues. I'll be looking at using other slicers to see if the quality of prints increases.

December 24, 2016, 01:11 PM #37

charlesjm Offline

• Vehicle: 1991 MR2 Turbo, 2007 Legacy Spec.B
                      • Reputation Power: 26
                      • charlesjm barely matters.charlesjm barely matters.
                      Really looking forward to seeing both yours @Igor and @TheCanadian007 's prints!
                      I recently got a ZeePro Zim that I'll be setting up over the holidays.
                      Does the Tiko have its own software for slicing and uploading files for the machine to print? Curious how Tiko is doing it!
                      #KenDeals
                      #MRBlue

December 24, 2016, 01:28 PM #38

Eppic Offline

• Vehicle: Miata's (lots of them)
                        • Reputation Power: 29
                        • Eppic barely matters.Eppic barely matters.
                        Currently printing myself a 3d printer with a friends 3D printer.  :)  Should have it all done by mid january I hope.

December 24, 2016, 01:33 PM #39

Igor Offline

Originally posted by charlesjm
                          Really looking forward to seeing both yours @Igor and @TheCanadian007 's prints!
                          I recently got a ZeePro Zim that I'll be setting up over the holidays.
                          Does the Tiko have its own software for slicing and uploading files for the machine to print? Curious how Tiko is doing it!

So far it has been a headache. I think our office was part of the first 100 or 200 shipped so the bugs have not been worked out. The latest problem shuts the Tiko down as soon as it attempts to update. I can still print with it but i'm an update or two behind which address some or the quality issues i believe.

Here are some cellphone shots. I'll try to get some better shots when i do some printing later.

The Tiko uses a web based slicer for printing. It's nothing amazing but it works for basic needs. As you can see It does solids just fine. Every now and then it over extrudes a bit but that's very seldom. Some of the bigger flaws that i've noticed are under extrusion on flat surfaces (floors/roofs of building models) and the damn raft that it prints is impossible to take off without damaging the bottom of your model.

I've been playing around with Craftware and Cura slicers to not have to use a raft but am having the common issue of the nozzle not getting close enough with the bed so the filament doesn't stick. I'll be playing around with it during my week off to see if I can figure it out. I'm hoping the developers figure out this update issue and quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Tier Imports

3-d Printing thread
                            « Reply #39 on: December 24, 2016, 01:33 PM »