Author Topic: License Plate LED Problems  (Read 713 times)

January 28, 2015, 08:10 PM #0

A42N81 Offline

• Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500, 2015 Forester 2.5i
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • A42N81 has no influence.
 Looking to get some advice on what might be going on with my car. I have changed my license plate lights over to LED's and have been having a lot of problems with them in the last couple months. I've been through three sets since the summer and its been the same thing everytime. It starts off with one of them starting to flicker on and off which I was able to stop sometimes just by hitting the bumper above the lights with my fist. Eventually though the flickering got faster and faster and that LED would go out completely and within a day or two the other side would go through the same thing. This last time though they both started flickering together. I cannot confirm the exact timeline that this goes on as I have only noticed it will brushing the snow off my car in the mornings. I now have nothing lighting up my license plate and I don't know what kind of attention that might attract to the police but I'd like to sort it out sooner then later. Is there a wiring problem on my car or in the socket for the lights? Is there a problem with the LED's themselves? Any help is greatly appreciated, I don't want to buy more lights until I can pinpoint this, thank you!
2015 Ram 1500 "Black Express"
2015 Forester 2.5i Convenience
2009 Forester 2.5X Touring - Sold
2007 Impreza 2.5i - Sold
2002 Legacy GT Limited - Sold

Top Tier Imports

License Plate LED Problems
    « on: January 28, 2015, 08:10 PM »

January 28, 2015, 08:16 PM #1

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
    • Reputation Power: 247
    • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
    Where did you get the LEDs? Have they been pushed in completely? Flickering can sometimes happen when the connection isn't great. Do regular bulbs work?
    2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
    2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

January 28, 2015, 08:24 PM #2

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
      • Reputation Power: 370
      • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
      Why not just use stock bulbs?

If you want LEDs again get them from @WinnipegHID I believe they carry a warranty.

January 28, 2015, 08:55 PM #3

A42N81 Offline

I have gotten them all at Speed Factor so far but I will definitely look into Winnipeg HID to see what they have. As far as I can tell they cannot be pushed in any further so not sure that its a connection problem and I don't have the stock bulbs anymore so I could always pick some up and see how they do. I love the way the LED's look so I'd prefer to stick to them if possible but if this keeps happening i will probably just suck it up and go back to the normal bulbs.
        2007 Impreza 2.5i - Sold

January 29, 2015, 01:57 AM #4

Gelmyhair Offline

• Vehicle: 2002 subaru wrx sedan
          • Reputation Power: 2
          • Gelmyhair has no influence.
          What type of bulbs are used for the plate lights? I might have some stock if you wanna stop by and try test out

January 29, 2015, 06:34 AM #5

seanf Offline

• Vehicle: 4 Audis and a Cavalier
            • Reputation Power: 15
            • seanf has no influence.
            does your car have a bulb out warning system? I had the resistored ones in my Audi and they flicker like crazy, I put in some regular non resistored ones and no flickering and still don't get a bulb out warning. If they are resistored get rid of them.

January 29, 2015, 06:56 PM #6

A42N81 Offline

I'm pretty sure they are just a standard 194 LED, don't think they have resistors. The picture is of the first set I had to take out, they were Lumen brand and actually lasted along time before they started to flicker and die out but after that things just went downhill. The others I used were a different brand but looked the exact same.

Originally posted by Gelmyhair
              What type of bulbs are used for the plate lights? I might have some stock if you wanna stop by and try test out

The wiring and sockets were the same for a lot if not most Subarus so if you have the stock bulbs I might try that out, they should work but I'll let you know! Thanks.
              2007 Impreza 2.5i - Sold

Top Tier Imports

License Plate LED Problems
                « Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 06:56 PM »