Author Topic: 2015 Spring WSCC High Performance Driver Education (HPDE)  (Read 8233 times)

January 30, 2015, 11:33 AM #0

Alex2NF Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Subaru BRZ - 2004 Toyota 4Runner
  • Reputation Power: 234
  • Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!
Hey guys,

I just thought I would post this on TI for anyone that is interested. The spring 2015 WSCC HPDE is now open for registration.

Classroom Dates: May 6th and 7th 2015 Aaltos, CanadInns 826 Regent Ave (@ Plessis) 7:00pm to 9:00pm

Gimli Track Dates: May 9th and 10th 2015 Gimli Motorsports Park 8:00am to 4:00pm

Basically, you have two evenings to do some basic "classroom" theory on racing and driving your car near it's limits. They also go over what it's like on a track day with flags, etiquette, etc. There are also written tests that you need to do in order to get your FIA Competition license which is necessary for road racing and time attack. I can tell you from exerpeince, you probably do not know what you're doing unless you attend these two days. Although some of it is redundant, there is a ton of helpful and relevant information. Shelf your ego and go with an open mind. You will learn a ton. WTF is a meatball flag? You'll learn!

The following weekend is track day. You'll get 2 full days @ Gimli Motorsports Park. If it's anything like last year, day 1 will be skidpad work with high speed slalom, figure 8, and braking area. it's meant to show you the limit of your car and help identify what it feels like. After that, you'll do a full course walk and later take a few laps in the passenger seat as an instructor shows you what your car feels like at about 80%. I can tell you right now, if you've never driven your car at a track with guidance from an experienced driver, you have no idea what 100% is. When the guy was doing a warmup lap, I thought I was going to die. By lap 3 or 4 when he was settling in to about 70-80% of it's limit, I was shocked. It's a huge eye opener and an awesome experience  The end of day 1 and all of day 2 will be you lapping your car with an instructor riding shotgun. You will get a LOT of running.

Speaking from experience, this is probably one of the most rewarding things you can do with your car if you're a motorsports enthusiast. It's one of those things you look back at in life and are really proud that you took the step and did it. Doing the HPDE last year was my first time taking my car on a track and it was a game changer. After doing that, it gave me the confidence and desire to do more. I ended up going to gimli to hot lap my car a few times, I headed down south to Brainerd International Raceway and raced there, and also go involved with Ice Racing with a plan to move into Road Racing. If I didn't do the HPDE, I doubt I would of had the balls or the ability to do any of it, without even considering that I would not be licenced to do it. I *HIGHLY* recommend doing this, and truth be told, they should be charging double or triple what they are.

Cost is $250 for the classroom and track sessions for WSCC members. You'll need to purchase a $50 WSCC membership if you don't already have your 2015 paid for.

To put that into context, you pay $100 to hot lap on a Friday from noon til dusk on Lapping Days. For $250 you're getting 2 FULL days on track (morning til evening) PLUS classroom instruction AND an instructor in your car. It's a steal. I'm pretty sure I paid $300 for ONE day @ Brainerd just to get onto the track.

WSCC LINK: http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9826-2015-race-school-registration-now-open/

DLB Racing link to register: http://www.dlbracing.com/Event/5902

Quote (selected)
http://www.dlbracing.com/Event/5902

Please note to registrar if you are bringing a convertible.

Registration is only open to the first 45 registered entrants so do not delay.
Entry fee $250 and you will need a WSCC Membership prior to registering.

If you don’t have a current WSCC membership, click on “My Clubs” and choose Winnipeg Sports Car Club membership.
Register the vehicle you plan to bring to the HPDE under "My Garage" prior to registering for the event. If it asks for a car number, pick any number.

Minimum Requirements:
- Daily Driven Street Car (you do not need a sports car) with all maintenance up to date. *Vehicle must be dimensionally wider than it is tall!*
- A plastic tub for your belongings and contents of vehicle.
- A current SNELL “M” or “SA” helmet (SA is encouraged)
**SNELL SA helmets are mandatory for use with vehicles that have factory or aftermarket installed roll-over protection**
Notes: SNELL SA helmets are required if you choose to road race after the school.
Current SNELL helmets are 2005, 2010 or 2015.
Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:20 PM by alexatwork21
13 Boosted Subaru BRZ
04 Toyota 4Runner V6 Sport
∞ Toyota Echo Race Car
98 Acura Integra Race Car 2
IG: @alexdbrz / Twitter: @ToyotaWinnipeg / Snap: OilMyPencil

Top Tier Imports

2015 Spring WSCC High Performance Driver Education (HPDE)
    « on: January 30, 2015, 11:33 AM »

January 30, 2015, 11:41 AM #1

Alex2NF Offline

• Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!Alex2NF is awe-inspiring!
    Also, for those out there that are hesitating due to wear and tear, I can tell you that your concerns are misplaced. The majority of tire wear would come form running constant laps at @ 100% and I can guarantee that neither you nor your instructors will do that. If you lost a couple of 32's on your tires, I would be very surprised. To give an example, my set of Continental ECDW's BARELY touched the wear bar at the end of the season and I put them through:

18,000KM total driving
    3 Hot lapping days @ Gimli
    1 full day (8am til 5pm) @ Brainerd - To give you an idea of how much I ran, i went through 3 tanks of gas.
    2 Autox Days (one of them was a test day where I did 13 runs)
    Test and Tune drag day @ Gimli with probably 10-12 full out drag launches PLUS staging burnouts
    Driving like a dipshiz to work every day.

To sum it all up, you will not wear out your tires or brakes from doing this.
    13 Boosted Subaru BRZ
    ∞ Toyota Echo Race Car

January 30, 2015, 12:36 PM #2

Nhil Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 Honda S2000
      • Reputation Power: 90
      • Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!
      In my opinion this is the most fun you can have with a car in Manitoba, not to mention it's a hell of a value for what you get. Last years was a blast and I would be doing it again this year if I could.

As Alex said, vehicle wear was minimal. Some tire wear is expected from Gimli's surface depending on the tires and maybe some glazing on the brakes but as long as your car is in decent condition you shouldn't have any concerns.
      [Mar 02 10:56:01] TwoFourDee:..ever
      [Mar 02 10:55:59] TwoFourDee:nobody quote me on that
      [Mar 02 10:55:56] TwoFourDee:I actually like those rotas

January 30, 2015, 12:45 PM #3

Magner Offline

• Vehicle: Neons
        • Reputation Power: 72
        • Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.
        Great write-up.  Value is well below what other clubs would charge. The $50 membership is good for all disciplines of the WSCC, also saves $10 per autox event.

January 30, 2015, 01:05 PM #4

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
          • Reputation Power: 165
          • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
          Will be considering this, as well as autox school....

I plan on ordering a few nonbad parts beforehand though.
          (∩ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

January 30, 2015, 01:24 PM #5

TonyPajamaz Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Audi A4, 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata
            • Reputation Power: 78
            • TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.
            I sooooooooo want to go this year!

Now my only big question is getting the miata out in time for this.
            [Jan 01 21:16:06] Faken:most steady hand/10

[Sep 23 14:27:56] Faken:i was focusing on dan's bum

January 30, 2015, 01:40 PM #6

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
              • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
              Me x3
              Current Forester count: 1
              New business opening soon...

January 30, 2015, 02:35 PM #7

Alex2NF Offline

Originally posted by Vince
                Will be considering this, as well as autox school....

I plan on ordering a few nonbad parts beforehand though.

This is nothing like auto-x imo. There will be 44 other people there with everything from a 15 year old civic to a Corvette ZR1. There was a Porsche 911 when I went, as well as a new BMW M3. To give you an example of the level  compared to something like auto-x, the ZR1 was hitting over 200km/h down the straight.

And for anyone that thinks you need a "fast" car or a heavilly modded car, you don't. 100% you do not need a high horsepower car to enjoy this. It will teach you how to drive YOUR car fast, and the first time you are barreling into Turn 1 flat out, you won't care if you're doing 130km/h or 190km/h.

If you plan on doing this, I would also suggest registering ASAP because a group I know of may be buying a batch of registrations.
                13 Boosted Subaru BRZ
                ∞ Toyota Echo Race Car

January 30, 2015, 02:46 PM #8

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                  • Reputation Power: 187
                  • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                  Is there a similar course like this at a later date as well.
                  Or do you have to take this as a pre-requisite to the next one? Won't be in the city at the time of this one, but wouldn't mind giving it a shot.
                  Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                  I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

January 30, 2015, 03:29 PM #9

Alex2NF Offline

Originally posted by jordisonjr
                    Is there a similar course like this at a later date as well.
                    Or do you have to take this as a pre-requisite to the next one? Won't be in the city at the time of this one, but wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

There will probably be another full course in July I think
                    13 Boosted Subaru BRZ
                    ∞ Toyota Echo Race Car

January 30, 2015, 03:44 PM #10

alexf1

I really want to do this. Don't have a helmet though.

January 30, 2015, 03:49 PM #11

j.onathan Offline

• Vehicle: 06 Sierra CCSB, '89 240sx 7mgte swapped
                        • Reputation Power: 31
                        • j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.
                        Sounds like a good time and good learning experience.  I would be down if I can get my car up and running before then.  I'm open to all the help on my car if anyone is interested!

January 30, 2015, 03:51 PM #12

ACiFiC Offline

• Vehicle: x2 Eunos
                          • Reputation Power: 85
                          • ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.
                          definitely in for this again, cant explain how much fun it was.

also its cheap for what you get.
                          Originally posted by Winter Beater
                          If a car is shows that a solid effort was made, and the car is reasonably well executed I can respect that. Even if it's not my cup of tea..

January 30, 2015, 04:11 PM #13

Magner Offline

• Vehicle: Neons
                            • Reputation Power: 72
                            • Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.
                            Originally posted by alexatwork21
                            This is nothing like auto-x imo. There will be 44 other people there with everything from a 15 year old civic to a Corvette ZR1. There was a Porsche 911 when I went, as well as a new BMW M3. To give you an example of the level  compared to something like auto-x, the ZR1 was hitting over 200km/h down the straight.

And for anyone that thinks you need a "fast" car or a heavilly modded car, you don't. 100% you do not need a high horsepower car to enjoy this. It will teach you how to drive YOUR car fast, and the first time you are barreling into Turn 1 flat out, you won't care if you're doing 130km/h or 190km/h.

If you plan on doing this, I would also suggest registering ASAP because a group I know of may be buying a batch of registrations.
                            With the exception of the turn 1 reference 100% of what you said is also applicable to the auto-x level 1 school. As long as the car is reliable and does not run the risk of tipping over (truck suv) it doesn't matter if its a C7 vette or 1986 Civic. You will learn and have fun in any car. No aftermarket mods needed.

January 30, 2015, 04:15 PM #14

Zach1 Offline

• Vehicle: 06 RAV4, ???
                              • Reputation Power: 61
                              • Zach1 is a rising star!Zach1 is a rising star!Zach1 is a rising star!Zach1 is a rising star!Zach1 is a rising star!Zach1 is a rising star!
                              hmm this is tempting

January 30, 2015, 04:20 PM #15

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                                • Reputation Power: 232
                                • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                                100% tempted, 95% likely to do it, 5% afraid of killing tires.

Should I be replacing the factory brake fluid to something better before attending this?
                                2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                                2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

January 30, 2015, 04:21 PM #16

Nirusan Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 BMW M2, 2015 Audi S3
                                  • Reputation Power: 208
                                  • Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!Nirusan is awe-inspiring!
                                  Originally posted by Igor
                                  100% tempted, 95% likely to do it, 5% afraid of killing tires.

Should I be replacing the factory brake fluid to something better before attending this?

Strike out the part about tires, and these are my feelings exactly. Interested in this bit of info as well. I'll most likely do an oil change just prior to doing this, anything else I should be looking to change?
                                  [Sep 03 10:56:42] Faken:I wanna be on autters whorefax... Gonna write her off
                                  [Sep 03 11:06:48] Faken:If I stuck my pee pee into 100 girls from africa.. I think it will make a difference if u want to sleep with me.
                                  [Oct 15 19:20:41] Adomp:id eat my own ass out than eat famous daves

January 30, 2015, 04:27 PM #17

Nhil Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 Honda S2000
                                    • Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!
                                    Brake fluid would be a good idea, especially if the car is on the heavier side
                                    [Mar 02 10:56:01] TwoFourDee:..ever
                                    [Mar 02 10:55:59] TwoFourDee:nobody quote me on that
                                    [Mar 02 10:55:56] TwoFourDee:I actually like those rotas

January 30, 2015, 04:29 PM #18

Alex2NF Offline

@Igor @Nirusan

Brake fluid swap would be a good idea, but not 100% necessary especially on performance models like your hot rods which probably have vented rotors and possibly some ducting to help cool brakes.

If you want to swap fluid, it's super easy and cheap.
                                      Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:58 PM by alexatwork21
                                      13 Boosted Subaru BRZ
                                      ∞ Toyota Echo Race Car

January 30, 2015, 04:38 PM #19

Alex2NF Offline

13 Boosted Subaru BRZ
                                        ∞ Toyota Echo Race Car

January 30, 2015, 05:33 PM #20

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
                                          • Reputation Power: 165
                                          • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                                          My only concerns are my all seasons that I use during the summer, and my peasant brakes. Someone I worked with did HPDE on stock brakes on and when he was telling me about it the word "melted" came up in conversation.

I'm hoping that I'm back to work soon so I can register for this and order some parts.
                                          (∩ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

January 30, 2015, 09:50 PM #21

Alex2NF Offline

Originally posted by Vince
                                            My only concerns are my all seasons that I use during the summer, and my peasant brakes. Someone I worked with did HPDE on stock brakes on and when he was telling me about it the word "melted" came up in conversation.

I'm hoping that I'm back to work soon so I can register for this and order some parts.

All season tires and stock brakes are fine.

You'll need a lot of seat time before your equipment becomes the part that needs upgrading  :)
                                            13 Boosted Subaru BRZ
                                            ∞ Toyota Echo Race Car

January 31, 2015, 10:00 AM #22

Ralliart Guy Offline

• Vehicle: 2009 Mitsubishi Ralliart
                                              • Reputation Power: 14
                                              • Ralliart Guy has no influence.
                                              I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves their car. Also having taken this, and passing the written test you would then be allowed to try out Time Attack racing AKA  SCCA Solo One. Basically the only way your going to experience sanctioned wheel to wheel racing your car against others on a road course. Keep in mind the main goal is actually to see how fast you can get around the track and improve on your own times. But always having a faster car in front of you is great motivation.

I have done the school 3 times now and it's one of the best experiences I've had as you get to have different instructors drive your car and show you new techniques that apply to your specific type of car. Re: Front wheel drive vs. rear wheel drive vs. all wheel drive etc..
                                              Don't forget this is also a way to get some cheap track time in.
                                              Too much to list. Check out my build thread
                                              http://www.clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=1066

February 06, 2015, 11:09 PM #23

SavageTaco Offline

• Vehicle: Evo9 GG MR
                                                • Reputation Power: 15
                                                • SavageTaco has no influence.
                                                This sounds like a lot of fun, ive wanted to do it for quite a few years now....hopefully ill have time to this year.
                                                Evo 9 aka "The Grinch" pump gas warrior
                                                Self tuned on an AEM V2
                                                2000 Aristo V300 - Daily
                                                "When in doubt run flat out"- C Mcrae

February 10, 2015, 12:37 PM #24

Stone Offline

• Vehicle: 2004 Subaru WRX
                                                  • Reputation Power: 5
                                                  • Stone has no influence.
                                                  I'm excited for this! I'm going to want to do brake fluid, and power steering fluid. I wish I could get tires cause mine are going to be awful.

Top Tier Imports

2015 Spring WSCC High Performance Driver Education (HPDE)
                                                    « Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 12:37 PM »